PDA

View Full Version : Time to tap?

Mogli
02-09-2013, 12:10 AM
With the weather in the southern tier/finger lakes of ny staying just above freezing durong the days for the next ten days will sap start to run. Just trying to see how long I have to scramble to get myself ready for this year.

Sunday Rock Maple
02-09-2013, 05:19 AM
We are in Northern NY and have started, have 800 in and hope to hit it hard today. With CV's I'm hoping we aren't hurting ourselves at the end of the season --- I've never tapped this early before,

spud
02-09-2013, 07:27 AM
We are in Northern NY and have started, have 800 in and hope to hit it hard today. With CV's I'm hoping we aren't hurting ourselves at the end of the season --- I've never tapped this early before,

Sunday Rock Maple,

You will be just fine. Your overall sap production using the CVs should be real good. Your not tapping to early I think your tapping to late. I got two GPT in January and should have gotten more if I was all tapped in.

Spud

backyardsugarer
02-09-2013, 10:54 AM
I am in victor and I am going to decide tonight based on the forecast. As of now the upper 30's and sun looks good for my 2 south facing hills. All new tomahawk seasonal spouts are on so I hope that buys me a few extra weeks.

happy thoughts
02-09-2013, 11:53 AM
With the weather in the southern tier/finger lakes of ny staying just above freezing durong the days for the next ten days will sap start to run. Just trying to see how long I have to scramble to get myself ready for this year.

It's probably time to scramble:) We are hoping to tap tomorrow but are only planning on a dozen or so taps this year. Though south of you, our forecasts are similar. I was in the Corning area just the other day and the weather was slightly warmer than here in the Endless Mountains. I was surprised the rivers were running freely without much visible ice even along the stream banks. Depending on exactly where you are, the larger bodies of water in your area may help moderate the temps somewhat.

Whatever you decide, have a great season:)

Dan Bolton
02-10-2013, 08:50 AM
We are still waiting! Last weeks forecast for our area was high 30's to low 40's and 20's at night for monday,tuesday,wed,thursday of this week. As usual that forcast has changed to one day above freezing. We will wait till the last week of feb like we normally do. We have 1,100 to plug in this year.

Mogli
02-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Guess I'm gonna get started on monday after traffic court. I'm in spencer, ny

maplehillbros7179
02-12-2013, 06:43 PM
i know its getting warm but dont jump the gun to early if you are all done by the first you should be fine