PDA

View Full Version : Road lining???

Limitpusher
02-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Ok, so I was driving around the past couple of day/weeks and I'm thinking that there is 6000+:o taps on nice road side trees within a 30 min. drive of my place. But, my question is, how?:confused: I can't do anything this year, but for next, how would a person logistically tap say 1000+ taps all along the road? I'm curious how that works, would you tube all you can, and then bucket the rest? Or if you can't tube it than move on? How do you compensate the people? Money- if so how much, or syrup- if so how much, per tap? What kind of rig to collect with would a guy need? I'm sure that some where on this vast forum someone road lines large(r) scale, and I need their advice. I have never tap a road tree that I didn't own so I'm a bit confused on how a person would go about this, Thanks- Limitpusher

spencer11
02-08-2013, 08:33 PM
i would tube as much as possible and do buckets on the rest, but only if thee are enough taps to make tubing logical, if not do buckets. if there are a lot of different property owners that own the trees if might be hard cause some will say yes and other will say no so you may have some taps here and there. i would trade syrup with them if i could if they even want anything for it, but pay per tap if you have to. for 100 taps you would probably want a 2x8 or a 2.5x8 with a small RO

palmer4th
02-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Im not so sure about that tip spencer, my first year I did 70 taps on a 19"x24" pan, last year 120ish taps on a flat 2x6 red neck evaporator.

shane hickey
02-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Yeah he missed an extra 0 on the key board

spencer11
02-09-2013, 08:05 AM
i guess i shoulda checked that before i posted it, i meant 1000 not 100

sugarsand
02-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Spencer you may not have been that far off the mark. Big roadside maples can produce big quantities of sap. Most of the trees we tap in the open are capable of overflowing 5 gal pails every day.

sugarsand