PDA

View Full Version : ceremic blanket

rayi
02-08-2013, 12:36 PM
No matter how I work it a 12.5 foot blanket does not have enough material to cover a 2 by evaporator. It might be different when I acy\tually see it next week. Is there any place that sells blanket by the foot

spencer11
02-08-2013, 12:42 PM
bascoms sells it by the foot, but its $3.50

mainline
02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Go to refractorydepot.com They have what you need and the price is right.

rayi
02-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I bought 2 inch in a 12.5 foot roll from the refractorydepot they only sell by the roll

HyeOnMaple
02-08-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm buying Roxul from Lowes. $40 for 57 sq ft. 3" thick, fire and (chuckle) sound proof. Sold in bags containing 12 batts, 48" x 15.5" wide. Made from recycled slag and stone. Take the facing off.

Groves
11-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Can it withstand flame exposure or must there be something covering it?

psparr
11-28-2014, 07:46 PM
the 1" comes in a 25' roll. I can keep my hand on the arch with it.

maple flats
11-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Looking at the refractory depot website I see lots of choices. My big question, do the rolls and sheets need to be covered when used to protect the wood near the stack, either for appearance or durability (or appearance for that matter)? I see no information. When I click on specs it takes me to another site where the technical specs are sold for big money, and likely they are engineering talk that I'd never understand them if I were to buy it.
I'm looking mainly to decide between the rock wool, rolls of 2300 ceramic and boards of 2300 ceramic. I think any of these would protect the wood trusses and roof boards.

psparr
11-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Looking at the refractory depot website I see lots of choices. My big question, do the rolls and sheets need to be covered when used to protect the wood near the stack, either for appearance or durability (or appearance for that matter)? I see no information. When I click on specs it takes me to another site where the technical specs are sold for big money, and likely they are engineering talk that I'd never understand them if I were to buy it.
I'm looking mainly to decide between the rock wool, rolls of 2300 ceramic and boards of 2300 ceramic. I think any of these would protect the wood trusses and roof boards.

The ceramic blanket is pretty integrous on its own. No reason to cover it. You could even probably zip tie it to the stack. The rock wool is less integrous. If you start cutting and bending it, it wants to fall apart.

maple flats
11-30-2014, 05:30 AM
I'm thinking the ceramic boards might work best for what I need. Likely just the 1" should be good.I think the closest wood to the stack is just over 7" away. I'll need to check that to be sure.

Bucket Head
11-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Dave & All,

I had a local sheetmetal place make me a collar for wrapping/covering my blanket on the stack. It was'nt that much money, looks very neat and professional and it keeps the blanket from coming apart. The blanket might not come apart with just tying/wiring it, but I like taking the worry out of things when possible.

And my insurance agent really liked the collar, which was a big plus. He took several photo's of it and stated, "I wish more people did it like that".

Steve

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-02-2014, 05:01 AM
I'm thinking the ceramic boards might work best for what I need. Likely just the 1" should be good.I think the closest wood to the stack is just over 7" away. I'll need to check that to be sure.
ALLGREEN wrapped his stack with it used wire to tighten it down. No need to cover but to not inhale the ceramic fibers.

Bucket Head
12-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Flat Lander & All,

I was originally going to wire mine (with stainless steel safety wire) on too, but I did'nt want the exposed insulation. Exposed insulation inside the arch is one thing, over your head(s) and over your pans is another.

Again, I would recomend covering the stuff. Yes, its an added expense, but its well worth it.

Mike's Sugar Shack
01-13-2015, 03:36 PM
Mainline i was just wondering how long it took to get your blanket from refractory depot? I ordered some in dec and still have not received it yet and can not get in touch with anybody from there.

maple flats
01-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Dave & All,

I had a local sheetmetal place make me a collar for wrapping/covering my blanket on the stack. It was'nt that much money, looks very neat and professional and it keeps the blanket from coming apart. The blanket might not come apart with just tying/wiring it, but I like taking the worry out of things when possible.
And my insurance agent really liked the collar, which was a big plus. He took several photo's of it and stated, "I wish more people did it like that".

Steve
Steve,
Can you PM me pictures of how you did it?
Dave

maple flats
01-13-2015, 05:40 PM
When I ordered from them I got the shipment in about 4 days. I also got calls and emails giving the status of the order and asking if I had any questions. Try again, for some reason your order may not have gone thru. Mike's Sugar Shack, I'll PM you contact info I saved.

Mike's Sugar Shack
01-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Thank you maple flats i have been trying to call them and no response.I sent a email to see whats up. They have taken the money and no shipment yet.Hopefully it will work out.

Bucket Head
01-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Hi Guy's,

Here are a couple of pics of my stack insulation cover. I would reccomend this to every sugarhouse owner out there. Its cheap insurance against a devastating loss.

Steve

buckeye gold
01-15-2015, 07:42 AM
I done mine very similar to yours bucket head, but I didn't use stainless. It works well and I can touch the outer metal and not get burnt. I brought mine a foot below rafters.