PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Gravity Flow

wildlifewarrior
02-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Hi guys,
We have been tapped for about 2 weeks with 50taps on 5/16 gravity on flat ground, the anchor lines/highest tap start about 9 feet, and drop to about 4 feet over 90 feet and have gotten about 10 gallons total. The last few days have been cold so the lines were still fairly frozen. Have you guys noticed a slow flow with gravity so far? We have been constantly trying to rework the lines to coax better flow, but I was thinking it has a little more to do with still early. Anyone else have any ideas?

Mike

LukeDawg11
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Mike: I tapped a couple of nights ago and some of the trees were running right away. I am on all gravity as well. I checked the lines last night and this morning and all are frozen. I think the sap hasn't really started running strongly yet -- most of the trees I tapped didn't "bleed" at all.

Matt

Wallopt
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Mike, I also have put my taps in they flowed some the 1st couple of days but the last week have been really slow or frozen. I'm hoping for nice weather after the storm...
this is also my 1st year with tubing...Jim

lafite
02-08-2013, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. we are still technically early for the season. They will start soon enough and and you should even get a little natural vacuum when they do start.

good days next week....be ready!

wildlifewarrior
02-08-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks Guys,
I figured that it probably wasn't a problem I was facing but timing. Last year was our first year using any tubing and that was just directly to buckets and we all know last year was just fantastic so I didn't have much to compare to. Good luch everyone. Thanks for the input.

Mike

wkies
02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Finished tapping my main area. 125 on gravity. Was too chilly to get any flow. i'll finish almost 200 buckets on monday. Looks great for next week. Lets just hope no major tree damage from the wind.

Starting Small
02-12-2013, 08:08 AM
How is everyone flowing on gravity tubing? Looks like some guys in MA had a good run yesterday on gravity.
-Dave

wkies
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Our gravity line is running great today. Perfect weather to start the season.

lafite
02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
we are flowing today!!!! ready for first fire tomorrow!!

Wallopt
02-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Had a good flow today!! I like having the snow around to keep the sap cold!!! Jim

Starting Small
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
How much sap did you guys on gravity get? Ours i think are still thawing out. Out if 35 taps we might have got 8 gallons. Dissappointed again!

lafite
02-12-2013, 06:34 PM
running great in Cheshire. 55 on gravity and collected 40 gallons today

Wallopt
02-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Today 27 gravity taps, 20 gallons sap.. Jim

wildlifewarrior
02-13-2013, 04:38 AM
Do u guys have any ideas what could be going in with ours? 8 gallons for 35 taps is dismal very discouraging when everyone else is doing so well. Our lines have around a 12% grade. They are all reds. I pulled the line on one tap and timed the drops, ten/min which over the course of a day and our trees would come to around 6 gallons. It is just very frustrating.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
02-13-2013, 05:39 AM
Do u guys have any ideas what could be going in with ours? 8 gallons for 35 taps is dismal very discouraging when everyone else is doing so well. Our lines have around a 12% grade. They are all reds. I pulled the line on one tap and timed the drops, ten/min which over the course of a day and our trees would come to around 6 gallons. It is just very frustrating.
Dont worry, your not alone, I have 103 out and have not been close to finishing tapping but I will this weekend I think, and off the 103 I have gotten about 8gals of sap yesterday. Not a big deal, but not the run we wanted. Its early yet, and the trees are thawing, plus the cold wind didnt help yesterday morning and the day before that the wind was out of the south...

LukeDawg11
02-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Went out to collect last night and got about 8 gallons from 16 taps. Not that bad, in my opinion, and a step up from last year. I added 8 more taps, bringing my total for this year to 24. I also checked the sugar content of the sap -- 2.8%!! At this rate, I'll be boiling this weekend. Definitely enjoying having snow around to keep my sap cold!