PDA

View Full Version : Gonna start tapping on 2/9/2013

cpmaple
02-08-2013, 06:16 AM
gonna pull the trigger and start tapping in on saturday. Cant wait maybe doing it on snowshoes but it wont be the first time doing that. Looking like i will have a few helpers so doing it while i have the help week early for me but get what i can while i have the help and looks like a few good days next week. Let all your sap be 3% and have a safe and enjoyable season.

millscrest
02-09-2013, 07:00 PM
looking at the weather for the next week, I jumped in also and tapped today. I was really surprised that some of the trees were really running with the sun being out and 20 degrees. I hope that I am not to early. The next few days looks like we will have a good run.

hounder
02-10-2013, 05:36 AM
We got about 700 done yesterday and will try and get the rest done today (high hopes). Had extra help yesterday so will be a lot slower going today. Amazing how much farther you get with an extra set of hands.

Sunday Rock Maple
02-10-2013, 06:51 AM
We hit it hard yesterday as well although it was a lot slower going with 16" of new snow. One unsual event was that my son (14) actually stepped on a buried partridge that then exploded out of the snow and flew away. It's 15 below this morning and so perhaps we will get some more in this afternoon (got about 1,000 left) if it warms up.

Sunday Rock Maple
02-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Another nice afternoon in the woods, I think the snow has settled at least 6" since yesterday -- a lot easier walking. We had some weeping a little when we drilled today on the south side of the trees -- got about 600 more to go and then fixing some of the damaged spots that we've flagged.

cpmaple
02-11-2013, 04:01 AM
well i got delayed in tapping took longer than exspected to get evap sunday. then i came home to froze water lines after i got line unthaw their was no time left so i start setting up evap. hoping to tap in during the week. Nice weather here for it this week. cpmaple

lyford
02-11-2013, 07:36 AM
So i tapped my 12 red maples on 2/9. Got up to 44 yesterday after starting out at 14 degrees that morning. Some trees gave me a pint some didn't give a drop, most were somewhere in between. Should i collect that little bit and store it or can i just leave the sap in the buckets. It is supposed to freeze tonight and tomorrow ahead of a thaw on wed and thurs. First time for me so thanks for any help. Also two trees were wet from the tap hole down. I checked closely and i cant see any splitting and i was very careful tapping them in, any ideas, is this a big deal. Thanks, justin

cpmaple
02-28-2013, 04:06 AM
well 800 in on vac now to add 300 more to that in a new section. then to hang buckets this weekend and on gravity run. Cant wait cloudy rest of week so i have some time then come monday looks good for right now wait and see bring on the sap. Best wishes to all and let your sap % be higher than last season. cpmaple northeastern ny