ColonialMaple
02-07-2013, 08:04 AM
http://youtu.be/MK4msWsxwnI

DonMcJr
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Looks Great Thanks for sharing!:cool:

Troutman10
02-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Looks like you have a pretty good setup. I got around to making the cuts I needed to make in my fuel oil tank today. Things are still cold here, but I'm getting this done in the nick of time. I like the idea you have for grates. Might have to borrow that. How's the sand, block and rock combo holding out? I'm really not sure how I'm going to set the inside of mine up yet. I'm also using 2 volrath pans instead of 3 like you. I'm leaving myself room to expand, so I'm sure I'll go to 3 pans in the coming years if not this year. I'll post ya some pics to compare. Good luck out there!

ColonialMaple
02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Hello Troutman, the cinder blocks held up the first burn no problem (its gone cold here in the northeast last week - no sap flow...) I would have used firebricks but it was a money thing...I went cheap on the investment... Jury is still out if it was the right choice!! Good luck on your construction, share the pictures, I would love to see 'em!!!

Troutman10
02-10-2013, 10:09 PM
I think you're on the right track. I was thinking firebrick too. My friend who makes and sells his syrup was telling me that sand with cinder blocks or bricks would be the way to go with the price of firebrick. Excited to get it going! It's amazing how many different contraptions we all have and can make pretty much the same final product. One other question...what tool did you cut your fuel oil tank with? I borrowed a industrial saw from a family friend and it did the job well, but was wondering if a circular saw or something else would work. That's all for now. Have a good one!

madtrapper
02-11-2013, 06:44 AM
A good zip cut wheel for a 4 1/2 grinder will cut the oil tank like butter, i built one that s upright with levelers on the legs and draft with forced air manifold. went through like 15 discs but there worth every penny. shop around for them as some places charge twice the price. click on my pictures to see the build. I actually did a bunch of work to it last week. tweeking it. fire brick to the whole thing. got it from another producer that was changeing out there old unit for a new one. anyways good luck with your new set up

Troutman10
02-11-2013, 03:52 PM
MT, I like your setup. Looks good! What's your tap count and evap. rate? with 3 pans?

ColonialMaple
02-12-2013, 12:56 AM
That's an awesome setup Mt...my next Rev will be an upright...I need to learn some basic welding first....trout...I started with a sawsall with metal blade but that was way to slow and gard to keep straight...I then tried a metal blade on my 7.25 circular saw and that went great...fast...straight..burned through two blades...produces a ton of sparks...you havve to be very careful and make sure your tank is empty and devoid of all combustible material and gas...sap should run for the next few days...hopefully will fire it back up soon!

Troutman10
02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Wanted to reply and give an update since on my "almost finished" fuel oil evaporator. I picked up an extra pan since the picture has been taken, so I need to cut a spot in the top for that as well as finish cutting a spot for my damper in the front. Think I'll make the damper a door with hinges so I can open and close it as needed. I have a very similar interior setup as ColonialMaple. Excited to try it out this weekend. I've collected over 20 gallons today on my minimal amount of taps.