PDA

View Full Version : dual pan setup or single pan, need opinions

das fisch
02-07-2013, 07:52 AM
So after my last post about my "holey" old tin pan, I've made the decision to buy a "new" to me stainless pan. I still have a tin 2'x2' finishing pan which is in good shape which I'll use. My arch is 2'x5'.

My question is though; should I purchase a full length 2'x5' pan to do the initial boil, drawoff and store and then put on the finishing pan with a temp cover (to cover the remaining 3') and do the finishing? or should I purchase a 2'x3' stainless pan which I can use in conjunction with the finishing pan. I'm leaning towards the second option so there is no fooling around removing the large pan to put the finishing pan on after the fact. i am running anywhere between 100-200 taps depending on how many properties I want to fiddle with.

I'm relatively close to Bascom's and they have a decent selection of used pans available. either way I'm upgrading from a barrel evaporator with steamer pans, so it's good either way.

Pibster
02-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Definitely go with the twp pan option.

Bruce L
02-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Two pans are better,should you have a burn,you won't ruin your whole set-up

325abn
02-07-2013, 05:26 PM
What they said

Maplebrook
02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
2 pans, and ladle from back pan to front pan, only adding raw sap to the back pan. You will make syrup faster in one pan (front) and only be adding cold sap to one pan (rear). Time to start reading some pre-heater threads...
Darren

das fisch
02-07-2013, 08:34 PM
going with the two pan route.

looking for a small finishing pan too; 18"x24" by 8" or 10" deep.