PDA

View Full Version : new start

rayi
02-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Any old time traditions before starting a new evaporator. I have said over and over PLEASE DON'T LET ME RUIN THIS RIG

danno
02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Not necessarily when I fire up a new evaporator for the first time, but my time honored tradtion before the beginning of every season is reading the Amatuer Sugar Maker by Noel Perrin. I've read this book right before the beginning of every season for the past many years. The book is not so much a "how to", nor for the amatuer. It's more so a beautiful read about the majestic product we produce and the wonderful quaintness of our new england states. I truly recommend this read to all producers. Book is still avialable online, just google it. Noel passed away just a couple years back.

Greenwich Maple Man
02-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Any old time traditions before starting a new evaporator. I have said over and over PLEASE DON'T LET ME RUIN THIS RIG

You run the rig, don't let it run you.

NH Maplemaker
02-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Have a Noel Perrin Story, My wife pick up the book Amateur Sugar Maker at a yard sale. like you I love reading it! Well one day a lady knock on the door and said she was taking the US census. After she got done asking her question,she said "I see that your a sugar maker"! She went on to say that her ex husband ( they had devorsed) had been a sugar maker also before he passed away! She told me that he had written a couple of books on the subject. So I asked her what his name was? She said Noel Perrin! I said I have one of his books and went and got it off the shelf in the book case. As we talked she told me were the sugar house was in Thetford VT. Well as it turned out it was a sugar house were I would drop off wood that we removed from around Phone lines. Had talked to Noel many times and never even new it, or about the books! She (the census lady) told me about the second book, but have never been able to find it. Noel was a teacher at Thetford Hill Academe in Thetford Vermont.

Maplebrook
02-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Back in 2005 when we switched to wood from propane, I was laying the first fire of the spring. Our (then) 7 year old daughter was watching and asked if she could light the match.
Every year since then, she lays and lights the first boil of the season.

If you are scared you are going to ruin that nice new evaporator, your sap is not deep enough for your comfort level. Adjust the float, get comfortable with it, and don't worry about super high GPH rates. It will all come in time. Soon, you will be able to look at your remaining tank level and count out the number of sticks left to finish the boil.
Good luck!
Darren

325abn
02-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Just protect your pan from the fire using the sap and you will be A OK!! Run it as low as you can but protect the pan at all cost and never ever leave her side while she is hot! :)

Bruce L
02-08-2013, 08:30 AM
Only run the rig as hard as you are comfortable with for awhile,and above all,have a 5 gallon pail of sap beside the rig ready to throw in should you run into trouble.I will not light the fire unless I have an emergency pail of sap ready,better to swallow your pride at needing an emergency pan saver than sitting there looking at your burnt pans should anything go wrong.Last year I had to use my pail for the first time in several years on the last day's boil,and I am sure glad it was there when the sap ran low,gives you time to do the necessary steps to save your rig.

grinch5010
02-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Alway keep that spare 5 gal bucket of sap close. Almost lost my pan when the front pan came dangerously low due to a frozen line coming from the head tank! Thank god I had my bucket close by!

Rugburn
02-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Have it blessed by the mighty maple sugar Gods !!! Enjoy.

rayi
02-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Any special words Do I have to bow down to the north when I'm saying.