PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Flavor

markcasper
04-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Every year it is the same thing. Would you all agree that after finished syrup gets ran through the filter press, it seems to taste different. I don't know if it loses flavor? I am not talking about some off flavor or anything, but just a flavor that is different, not as intense as with a little fine sediment in it. I am a believer that taking ALL of the sedimant out also takes some of the flavor with it. In fact, my dad has told me to cork some unfiltered syrup up for themeselves, says it tastes just like it did back in 1952 by doing this.

Anyone ever suspect that filter aid does something to the flavor??Whats your thoughts? Mark

Fred Henderson
04-29-2006, 10:53 AM
I think that it changes the taste.When I have to put a chemical in my syrup I am going to stop making it.

nhmaple48
04-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Chemical in filteraid?

Fred Henderson
04-29-2006, 06:19 PM
What is filter aid? How is it made? If it is put in a food product the contents has to be listed on the package.

Russell Lampron
04-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Filter aid is diatomacious earth like the stuff used in swimming pool filters but it is food grade.

Russ

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Reference to diatomaceous earth (Called DE or Filter Aid by people that use it) It's actually ground up ancient fossils.

mountainvan
04-29-2006, 07:20 PM
I used filteraid for the first time this year with flat filters. I think my syrup is as flavorful as other years as do my customers that have had the syrup, and told me, this spring. I do not believe that it adds or takes anything to or away from the taste of pure maple syrup.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Definitely wouldn't call it a chemical. 8O 8O

markcasper
04-30-2006, 12:05 AM
O.k., maybe I missed the point. Not to say that filter aid does something to the flavor. But does removing ALL of the sediment cause the syrup to have a different, less tastlely product?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Mark,

I ordered a filter press from the maple guys for next season because of sanitary reasons and I filter large batches at one time. I think you may be partly correct in your prior statement. 8O

brookledge
04-30-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't think the solids that are removed from a filter press will affect the taste in any way. With a cone or flat filter you can get syrup filtered just as good and it is no different in taste.
I had a customer once ask about the solids taken out in my press.
She asked if she could taste it (I had never tried it myself) and she said it had no taste and was very pasty.
I would think that all of the minerals that are in sap give up their flavor during the boiling process and then are useless.
Keith