PDA

View Full Version : Sap Sucker Questions

ronr
02-06-2013, 07:36 AM
I have a "Sap Sucker" brand pump head (the type with rollers that squeeze a tube) and have a few questions. It has a aprox. 1 1/4 od x 3/4 id rubber tube, the space the tube fits in is aprox. 7" od and has a 3 roller drive with a 3/4 in drive shaft. I guess they made a few different models, not sure which this is, maybe someone knows?

What rpm should this thing run? I have only the pump itself and am going to set it up with with electric motor/belt drive. Any idea what size motor, my guess is it should be belted down pretty slow and so a small, say 1/3hp or so, motor should suffice.

Any idea what level of vacuum it would pull on a 100-150 tap system assuming it to be fairly tight leak-wise?

wiam
02-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I gave a smaller one (1/2" hose) to a friend. This one was as I got it. I would say 2" pulley on motor, maybe a 5" on pump. 1750 rpm motor. I think that was a 1/3 hp. He ran about 16" of vac on 80 taps.

ronr
02-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I did talk to Sugarbush Supplies today and they thought it should run at around 600. According to them there was a Sap Sucker I and Sap Sucker II, mine would be the "II" with the bigger tube size.