PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer size preference

Jmsmithy
02-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Hi folks

This may be a dopey question, but here goes....

What is the difference between the different size hydrometers available for testing sap/syrup (other than a couple of inches :lol: )

I see them at 7" and also at 12"... Is one more accurate than the other? Is there a reason why you prefer one size to the other?

I'm ramping up and haven't purchased them yet (I plan on getting one for sap and one for syrup plus applicable cups) so I'd be interested in your opinions..... Also, amazing how the cups are the expensive parts!:o

spencer11
02-05-2013, 06:13 PM
cups are expensive, but the hydros do add up after your break 3 or 4 of them, make sure you get 2 or 3 to start, you will break them at some point. i prefer the small ones, cause when i looked at the big ones they were just to be to be carrying around and messing with near the evaporator(not alot of room in the sugar house for me) plus the small ones are a little cleaper

wiam
02-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Taller ones are more accurate. I use a taller one for sap and shorter for syrup.

maple flats
02-06-2013, 05:00 AM
Absolutely. Taller is far more accurate. In sap it reads in tenths of a %, the short reads 1/4 % but even at that it is harder to decide which line you are at because they are so close together. I like the longer far better. As for dropping, I have several, but have not dropped one in my 11 seasons (yet).

schmidt's
02-06-2013, 07:34 AM
What ever hydrometer you get make sure you get a cup that it will stick out of the top when at the bottom. You will break less by not having it bounce off the bottom of the cup when someone gets ansy and checks density way before it will start reading. It happens every year kids , neighbors or know it all family will be checking way before the hydrometer will register.

Z/MAN
02-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Absolutely. Taller is far more accurate. In sap it reads in tenths of a %, the short reads 1/4 % but even at that it is harder to decide which line you are at because they are so close together. I like the longer far better. As for dropping, I have several, but have not dropped one in my 11 seasons (yet).

Flats, I made syrup for 6 years without breaking one and then broke TWO in 15 minutes:(!!!!!!!!!!