PDA

View Full Version : Surge Alamo 30 filled with oil

jbraun
02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Hello, I bought a surge alamo vac pump last spring after season. after sitting in the garage all year, the pump filled up with oil??? I asume one of the oilers stuck or something? I got all the oil out and the pump seems to run fine now..but I cant figure out how to adjust the little wire in the oiler?? do I move it up or down to increase oil flow?? I can see oil moving thru the sight glass on the pulley side but not the other side? does the pump have to be under a load to draw the oil in?? Any info would be hepfull.....

jimsudz
02-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Hey jbraun,I also have a alamo 30,I bought 3yrs ago. When I got it home and tried it out it didn't sound right,I realized it was flooded with oil.I pulled the free side cover off and drained the oil.The pump runs like a champ, there is no way to adjust the oiler. I was told by a dealer that the more vac you pull the more it will oil. Your pump may have sat idle for many years like mine and the oil drained out of the reclaimer.

mapleack
02-05-2013, 08:10 PM
you can get oilers with adjustable valves to set the drip rate. they dont cost that much either.

jbraun
02-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanx jimsudz, that helps..... Im not 100% sure mine is a 30, the pump is aprox. 5" wide, and it has a 5hp electric motor on it, which I know is not original, because it says harvister silo on it. does yours have the third oil line going to the intake? mine does not but Im thinking about adding it, but there is no hole tapped for it. What kind of vac level can you hold with it?

ejmaple
02-06-2013, 07:02 AM
jbraun , the diferance between the 30 and 40 is 30 came with 1.5 hp 40 with 2hp. the other is the 30 was mounted on a vertical stand and the 40 horazantal. I think only the 100 came with a oil port on the suction side. in order to put one on yours you need to put a T and reduce the side port down to your oil line size

maple flats
02-06-2013, 08:51 AM
You can change the oil flow. Remove the bottom nut on the oil tube. Inside is a stiff wire, for more flow you need to shorten the wire. To do this you must snap (break it), not cut it because cutting will leave a flash on each side which will cause sticking and the wire won't work as designed. A new oiler can be installed that IS adjustable. To go that route check out McMaster-Carr.