PDA

View Full Version : issues with older english tin drop flue pan

das fisch
02-05-2013, 04:47 PM
I know, it's crunch time almost and i have some issues.

I acquired a set of old english tin sap and syrup pans. The sap pan is about 24x48, divided with drop flues. I saw a few pin holes, but it was in good shape otherwise. well... it's been at a copper smith's shop for a bit and he is having difficulty closing the pin holes in the drop flues. the issue he is encountering is how to get the lead free solder down inside the flues as they are about 9" deep or so. he does not want the solder on the exterior (fire/heat side) as the heat will melt off the solder.

Does anyone have any suggestions? any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!
we are getting real close to tapping and I'm up the creek without anything that resembles a paddle!!! i am thinking of having him block the tops of the drop flues for this season so I'm essentially running a flat pan, but then I'm worried about those flues being empty and dry and what the heat will do to them without the sap to keep them cool-er.

The syrup pan seems to be ok.

spencer11
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
well just unroll the solder enough to get it down in the flues, then you can take a torch to the underside to heat the tin up to melt the solder, thats the only way i can think of doing it

morningstarfarm
02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Don't worry about soldering the outsides of the flus...as long as you have liquid in it the solder will be fine...my first pans were tin and to be truthful....more solder than tin...but they were very cheap...just clean the tin until it shines and use a good acid flux and a torch...doesn't take much to heat it up...good luck...