PDA

View Full Version : ID this old pump ?

CharlieVT
02-05-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm wondering if anyone will recognize this old pump.
I wonder what it might be capable of if I refurbish it.

maple flats
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
My guess it that it is a piston pump. If you can get a model # try to see if any parts are available. Piston pumps are good pumps to use because with real good lubrication they can draw higher vacuum levels than a rotary vane pump. The parts availability will be the issue. Search it on the web, you should be able to find any possible parts source. It's possible (maybe even likely) McCormick Deering, or IH did not make it, but had their name put on a pump made "for them". As such if you can discover who made it, that might help locate parts. Any bearings and bushings will have numbers stamped into them, a bearing place (such as Kaman Bearing) likely has them in stock at one of their branches. Other, more specific parts to that model will be the bigger issue.

CharlieVT
02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
..... Piston pumps are good pumps to use because with real good lubrication they can draw higher vacuum levels than a rotary vane pump.......

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't really ask the right question but you gave me the answer I was looking for anyway. :)
Your statement that it might be capable of higher vacuum levels than a rotary vane pump gives me motivation to spend more time bringing it back to life.

It is indeed a piston pump. The ID plate on it says both McCormick Deering and International Harvester on it with a serial number, but no model ID. I have done an internet search but didn't come up with anything so I thought I'd ask here.

The bottom end is splash or slinger lube. The top end has two sets of reed type valves which were surprisingly free of rust and cleaned up pretty well. I'd be really interested to find out what cubic feet per minute it is capable of, but I'll at least hook it up to a motor and see what vacuum level it will achieve. There doesn't seem to be any plumbing for oil injection to the top end, and I have to wonder if the reed valves wouldn't seal better with a little light oil mist passing through. I wonder if the original setup had some kind of lube being fed into the inlet.
I assume it is an old dairy pump, but I've never seen anything like it before.

I'll have to play around with the RPMs to see what works best unless I somehow stumble onto a spec sheet for the old thing.

Thanks Again.

CharlieVT
02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Maple flats,
Thanks for the encouraging info. When I bought the contents of an old sugarhouse, I picked up a couple of liquid ring pumps (leaking seals need replacement), a small rotary vane dairy pump, and this old piston dairy pump. As I've been working to bring things back to life, I considered the old piston pump to be worthless.
Now after cleaning up the reed valves and making a new gasket for the separator tank, the pump pulls 25 inHg. My rotary vane does 18inHg at best.
I selected a drive sheave to give about 400 rpm and it seems to comfortably slog along at that speed.
Thanks again for all the helpful posts you make on this site, really very helpful.

mapleack
02-06-2013, 12:14 PM
A few other people on here have similar pumps, heres one of the threads : http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?18063-identify-this-pump&highlight=mccormick Here might be a manual for it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Deering-Milker-Vacuum-Owners-Manual/dp/B005IDV4KE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360174745&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=McCormick-Deering+Milker+Vacuum+Pumps+Milker+Units