PDA

View Full Version : So what's everyone doing in Wisconsin

WI Sugarpop
02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
So what is everyone doing while you wait for the season to start? No one is talking about anything lately except for everyone out East. I have everything ready so now it's just waiting for the good weather.

Brad W Wi
02-04-2013, 06:06 PM
I'm cutting wood. It never ends and I enjoy doing it. I'm working on wood for the spring of 2015. I figure I might not be able to do it later. Other than that just waiting like everyone else.

jmayerl
02-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Anyone with nothing to do can come over and help me build the evaporator. I figure at the rate im going now i should be ready to go around the fourth of july!

WI Sugarpop
02-04-2013, 06:55 PM
It looks like you make a new one every year. After last season I thought you said you were going to sell everything and quit. Must have gotten talked out out it!

Rhino
02-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Got alot done this past weekend with washing tanks, transporting tanks to a new section of line we put up, stringing out electric line from a neighbor we "buy" power from and the list goes on. Rough mornings to work with water and wash equipment. started out at -12 degrees. We set up a flat pan on our finishing unit and heated up the water. This saturday we will rinse out the evaporator, set tanks on the gathering trailers, and rework some inside plumbing. Temps are going to be around 32 degrees so alot better working conditions. Seems like we are getting a winter finally around these parts. Frost in the ground, snow starting to add up in the woods, and a stretch of bitter cold temps in January. Started to look at every extended forecast for Tomahawk that i can find. As of now, we are looking at the first week of March to start tapping.

Red-bellied Woodpecker
02-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Still have 100 more buckets to clean this week and about 3 more trips from GB to Aniwa and will have everything ready to go in about 1.5 weeks and then just a waiting game. Also need to get the rest of the wood cut and will spend a few days over the next few weeks in the bow stand thinking of syrup.

jmayerl
02-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Still have 100 more buckets to clean this week and about 3 more trips from GB to Aniwa and will have everything ready to go in about 1.5 weeks and then just a waiting game. Also need to get the rest of the wood cut and will spend a few days over the next few weeks in the bow stand thinking of syrup.

Hunting coyotes from a treestand? Can't think what else is open right now.

Red-bellied Woodpecker
02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Will be deer hunting. The city I live in has a special bow hunt to help keep the deer numbers in check in the city limits for free instead of paying sharpshooters. Will be in stand thinking of syrup and then will be thinking of deer hunting when boiling a way.

chasesugarbush
02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Im racing to get the finishing touches done on the new sugar shack. Kind of glad that it isnt the same as last year I was tapped at this time last year. I looked at the long term forcast and it looks as if we have a couple weeks for sure. may even have time to put some miles on the sled!

Pete S
02-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Waiting for my stack to get done,...which should be soon! Then awaiting the arrival of the cedar pole fairy to find some more poles to cover my shack. Needs to get a tad warmer to tarp over the shack for temp cover to boil.

Other than that, waiting for the "day" to come!

dkr
02-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Do visit the Little Rock in Aniwa

bearair
02-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Got the wood cut for next year just need to split some of the bigger pieces. Now I'm just reading MapleTrader and hoping that the whether will cooperate this year.

flying squirrel maple
02-06-2013, 03:35 PM
In the middle of building a new arch for new to me 2x8 pans. One more weekend of fabricating then test boil and haul everything north... I hope😰😰😅

maplematt
02-06-2013, 04:53 PM
I just got permission to tap a new area, so I need to go check out the trees, get more buckets and probably more tubing also...I sure hope this is a good year, looks like it should be! Good luck everyone!

WI Sugarpop
02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Glad to see everyone is getting ready for the maple season. It looks like it won't be an early season like last year. Back to normal like around March 1st. Last year it started early and I was still getting the new maple shack built. This year I'm ready to go. Good luck to everyone.

Red-bellied Woodpecker
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Will do dkr. Saved a maple lastnight

Jeff E
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I am finishing up some expansion in my tubing system. Added about 200 Trees this year. Down to installing saddles and connecting lateral lines to them.
I will start tapping about a week before I think I need to, just to get a head start on it, to find leaks, etc.

Rinse the evaporator out, connect the releasers, put pumps into pump houses, connect the electric to the pump houses ... this is going to be a busy month.

Get ready between the ears too, for the work and fun.

Red-bellied Woodpecker
02-08-2013, 04:24 PM
12 days and will start puting in taps!

maple man
02-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Forcast looks like three more weeks till its time. Time to put 250 on line yet . Get ride of more bag holders.

WI Sugarpop
02-08-2013, 08:27 PM
mapleman,
If you're getting rid of your bag holders, do you want to sell some taps? Do you use 7/16 soule hookless?

dschultz
02-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Going to start tapping next week.

markcasper
02-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Going to start tapping next week.

You must be using cv's?

dschultz
02-09-2013, 05:28 AM
no cv's, 6000 holes to drill is the reason why i'm starting.

maple man
02-09-2013, 07:24 AM
5/16 stubbys are what I use . Bag holder I am not useing are home made pvc ones. I know lloyed franz has some nlce used holder for two dollars.

WI Sugarpop
02-09-2013, 08:39 AM
I have plenty of the metal sap sack holders, but I need up to a hundred of the 7/16 Soule hookless taps if anyone is looking to get rid of them.

maple man
02-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Sugarpop I will check with a few guys that used then if they have any.why you still using7/16 taps yet. We used 5/16 cdle clear spouts last year'

Merklin Maples
02-10-2013, 05:38 AM
We are ready to go. Finished the sap house a few weeks ago. Have the finished kitchen ready to go with hot and cold water in the sink. The best part is we have concrete. We have had the roof for a few years now. Were tired of standing in the mud. We even put down old dock sections for the mud issue. This year, concrete I hope, will be a blessing. We are anxious to put in some taps. Just waiting for now. Still have to do the spring cleaning of the pick-up tand and holding tank. Been waiting on the weather to get that chore done. Good luck to everyone this season.

Rhino
02-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Hauled 300 gallons of water yesterday and my brother and i got the evaporator and the rest of the tanks washed and set into place. Did most of the plumbing for the r.o and the evaporator, Had to change that to go around the r.o room. 10" of snow on the ground, when we are logging i cant peel any ground with the blade anymore so the frost is set also. (not sure how deep?) Still banking on that first week of March to start tapping. All extended forecast are still cool. I think with the frost we have, even if we get a round of 40 degree weather, the roots are in a frozen tomb and the trees won't do much. (just my thinking?) Looks like i might get some ice fishing in yet before tapping time.

WI Sugarpop
02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
We had mid forties today and I broke a branch off a maple and sap was running. Now it's suppose to get cold for a couple days and then warm up next week in the Plymouth area. Might be tapping middle or end of next week. I'm ready!!!!!!!!!!

Pete S
02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
ME TOO! I'm no where near ready, but I am READY!

jmayerl
02-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Im happy to report that after being over 40 degrees for 6 hours today that no sap was in my test taps. Thank god it hasnt started yet.

chasesugarbush
02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Drilled 3 test taps at 11:00 and all were running got 2 gal by 5:00. Not thinking it will be long b4 the start in my bush. Just need the weather to cooperate.

John Wiesner's Legacy
02-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Hi, my name is Eric. My father in law and i have a sugar shack north of Prairie Farm. We haven't done much yet, but cut wood and move snow. Looks like it will be a while yet. We just have to set up storage tanks and do a little plumbing. i hope to get started soon.

GramaCindy
02-21-2013, 04:47 PM
GramaCindy here in NW WI north of Hayward by about 22 miles. The weather next week looks somewhat favorable, but I am worried about the snowpack. No snow melting around the trunks. Doesn't that kind of indicate that the trees are thawing out, or will I miss some possible early runs? Don't want to miss those!

mike z
02-21-2013, 06:40 PM
I have found that even if temps are 20/40, it still takes a few days for things to get going in the beginning. I'm just north of Ladysmith, and I'm not getting too excited just yet. Ok I'm excited, but not thinking about tapping just yet.

sticky bob
02-21-2013, 09:37 PM
Tomorrow I'll start tapping here in sheldon. Looks some what favorable next week and after last year don't want to miss any runs.

jmayerl
02-21-2013, 09:52 PM
GramaCindy here in NW WI north of Hayward by about 22 miles. The weather next week looks somewhat favorable, but I am worried about the snowpack. No snow melting around the trunks. Doesn't that kind of indicate that the trees are thawing out, or will I miss some possible early runs? Don't want to miss those!
Gram-
I look at that as an indicator also. I'm guessing you have about as much snow down as we do here. 6" coming tomorrow and another big storm on Monday so you might as well let those drills rest a bit. I'm waiting for 3-4 nice sunny days in the 38+ range before I worry about tapping.

Cabinet man
02-22-2013, 05:40 AM
Been watching NOAA and accuweather here and looks like we are looking more average. I will keep eyes close to the forcast from now on. According to accuweather for the month of March there is only 1 day at 40 for here. I will wait to gas up the tapper for now. I never trust the forcast completely, but my gut says that we have time. Hope everyone has a great season.

syrup2make
02-24-2013, 01:22 PM
For our area the forecast for the week is low 20's. Its getting close, I can smell it. Looks like I'll request my vacation starting the week of the 11th. If temps dont work out I'll adjust the vacation time.