PDA

View Full Version : What do ya think?

boondocker
02-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Next week is looking good. Whats everbodys thoughts on drillin some holes for the tailend of the week?

western mainer
02-04-2013, 06:59 AM
I'll wait and look at the forecast on Thursday. Where we are when they say 35 it gets to 28 this time of year. Where in Maine are you?
Brian

Maple Ridge
02-04-2013, 08:09 AM
I also am going too wait for the weather forcast for next week. I am finishing getting the sugar house ready this weekend. I will be tapping the 16 and 17th unless the weather is going to turn bad on us. I might put in a test tap this weekend.
With not much snow on the ground, I think when it runs, it will run good. If we get weather like last fall, we should have 4 good week of runs (I hope).

boondocker
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Im in winterport, About 20 outside of bangor. the longer the wait the better for me, I went back to work today from a two month shut down so im going to get behind quick now......... just wondering what everybody was doing. Dont want to miss out on anything ya know.......thanks

newmaplah
02-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm hopin it holds out for another week or two. Just finishing up the new evaporator (275 gallon drum style) and got a date for Sunday with a welder friend to make some new pans. Been welding a little myself today out in the garage and it isn't any too warm with the doors open. Seems like I'm always behind getting things done.

I haven't put any taps out yet, but was certainly interested in what others were doing. Anybody have any taps in last week when it warmed up?

MainelyMaple
02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I have yet to see weather to get excited about. But it's still early. Really early. I'm definitely not tapping til the weather trends warmer. The nice part about tapping a north facing bush is I usually get ample warning from others when it's starting. It will be here before we know it but there's still time.

RickinFarmington
02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I will for sure tap a few test trees on Sunday and see. Everything else is ready and in place, so it will take no time to tap the rest of my bush if conditions dictate.

arm08260
02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Considering that my trees dried up on march 18th last year I definately tapping on sunday. I dont want to miss any big runs this year. Sunday is really only a week or two early and long range forecasters keep promising an early spring. Plus I have the itch bad now after last weeks warm weather and I really want to test my new rig.

boondocker
02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Newmapla where are you located?

dadsmaplesugarshack
02-05-2013, 03:28 PM
we all want to get goin !! well in harrison we have been workin on adding some more on the vac lines last few weekends looking to tap in two weeks . just watchin the weather still have some time yet !!! lets hope for anything better than last year !!

stephen wheeler
02-05-2013, 08:12 PM
We put in a few taps about 2 weeks ago and averaged about 1/2 gallon per tap. We have added a few more buckets over the last week or so. We now have about 50 taps out. We have collected approx. 40 gallons of sap so far. We will probably put in a few more before the little warm spell that is forecast for next week.

Revi
02-06-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm not tapping until Feb. 23rd. It may be warm enough then.

newmaplah
02-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I am in Fairfield. Why - did you see the garage doors up? Looks like I'm pretty close to a few people on here.

Watching the extended forecasts, it does look like next week is supposed to be the kind of weather we need to start.

Maine Maple
02-07-2013, 03:54 AM
We'll probably start tapping this Sunday or next week. I wish this storm was going to miss us. Easy walking in the woods right now!

JuniperHillSugar
02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
We'll tap just before our first good run. That way we never miss. Now if could figure out when that would be we would be all set. All of a sudden it looks like winter again. 24" here in Bowdoin with bigger drifts. Good luck.

abbott
02-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Amazing what last year's early spring did to us. Normally we wouldn't even be thinking about tapping now - looks like just a brief warm-up, then back to seasonably cold - but because last year was such an early season we're itching to go. I plan on using the next couple of warmish days to get everything cleaned up, set up, and ready to go. I've got all CV's now, so I won't hesitate next time the forecast looks good. Besides, my new cordless drill got stuck in Massachusetts during the storm, so I have to wait anyway...

maple flats
02-10-2013, 09:38 AM
I was going to start yesterday, but my forecast only shows Monday as 40 and then a couple in the low 30's. That isn't enough to thaw the trees. I now plan to tap next weekend and all the following week, since I have extra help, winter break for bus my driving and 3 I hire who are college students. That makes it a good time.

RickinFarmington
02-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Well, the test tree I tapped a week ago is dripping right now, so it is obviously thawed out, much to my surprise. I think I will still wait till next weekend to tap my bush. I will however set all dump tanks and pumps in the woods. With just 105 taps, it can be done rather quickly. I know everyone is getting itchy.

Maple In The Woods
02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Thought I'd give an update for Peru, ME. I tapped a 14" maple for a test southeast facing that gets sun most of the day on Sunday. This tree is always a "good runner" and it ran a bit Sunday then the wind and clouds shut it down today not much for sap. I think were close but not enough sun and warmth to thaw the trees, not until were in the 38 plus degree days more frequently with sun. I'm watching the weather but probably tap the weekend of the 23rd unless it warms like last year.

My Hobby??? I think?
2010 -120 Taps Gravity
2011 - 332 Taps Gravity
2012 - 350 Gravity and a loving wife
Homemade 2X6 Evaporator