PDA

View Full Version : Is a releaser needed with this type of pump?

Starting Small
02-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Is a releaser needed with this type of pump? Also, is this what most vacuum setups look like? I will be going to vac next year and want to learn as much as I can. Is this a typical price I can anticipate for this or is it overpriced, underpriced, etc? I read all of the Maple Ssyrup Producers Manuel but still am not 100% familiar with all the different types of setups. Also, what would need to be added or subtracted to change this for 200 taps instead of 800 taps as it is now? Or can it just be used as is for 200? Thanks for your help,
-Dave

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/grd/3529792535.html

RiverValleySugarhouse
02-03-2013, 07:23 PM
I believe this pump is right here in the classifieds. You could just contact the person. Also I don't know alot about them either but I know you'll need a releasor for that pump. Also they say 1 cfm for every 100 taps. So it all depends how many cfm the pump makes. And if your only doing 200 taps even if you have more cfms that will help with small leaks. A small leak won't affect the vacuum level if the pump puts out more cfms than you really need.

Starting Small
02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
I should also indicate that this is just an example, using it as a learning experience from you all as I do not plan on buying a vacuum pump/setup until next year. Thanks again,

gmcooper
02-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Starting Small,
The vacuum pump is rotary vane pump and needs a releaser and moisture trap. You would use it just the same for 200 taps as 800. This pump will not run high vacuum levels 25"+ it was made to run at 14-15" as a dairy pump.

maple maniac65
02-04-2013, 05:42 AM
a realeser is needed with any type of vacuum pump wether it is rotary, piston, or water type. The sap suckers are totally different and really do not make vacuum but do not need vacuum

maple flats
02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Yes you need a releaser with any vacuum pump unless you have a vacuum tank. Most dairy vacuum tanks are max 20". I use 1 at 20", no releaser. Another exception is a diaphram pump, but they are very prone to ice damage. Torun a pump like that at more tan 15" you must open up the oilers or buy new adjustable oilers. Heat and lubrication is the issue. Some on here have run to 24" I believe but they use new oilers and maybe even an oil cooler.