PDA

View Full Version : Pulling 5/16" Tubing

SeanD
02-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Some of the tubing tapers before going into the fitting. Am I pulling it too tight? One 6" section I pulled around a tree stretched and tapered right in my hand. Is that typical or do I have a bad batch of tubing?

Sean

Daves Maple Farm
02-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I am new to this too and we just pulled 5 rolls of tubing and no problems...my humble opinion is you may be pulling to tight. Maybe someone with a little more experience will chime in...good luck ps: we didnt pull any around a tree just zig zagged through the trees to keep it tight.

unc23win
02-03-2013, 09:08 PM
What kind of tubing are you using? I don't think I have ever had tubing change form.

spencer11
02-04-2013, 05:42 AM
are you using semi-rigid? thats what it sounds like you have cause of the amount its stretching. but ive never heard of it doing that before

stoweski
02-04-2013, 05:46 AM
Sounds like the semi-rigid stuff. Never had rigid do that to me.

maple flats
02-04-2013, 10:10 AM
If you are using new tubing, it likely is too soft. Do you have rigid? That being said, as tubing is tightened and re-tightened year after year, the ID does get smaller, but I don't think you could tell without a good measuring instrument, calipers or such. How tight are you pulling it? If you pull as hard as you can, it may be too tight, but I suspect a flaw in the tubing.

unc23win
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I agree with flats I doubt you would be able to see the difference unless something was wrong with it. Also most new tubing is pre stretched.

SeanD
02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Yes, it's the Max Flow Semi-rigid tubing. I've used it for everything - main, laterals and drops. I remember having a hard time picking which to get just by reading the descriptions in the catalog. Sounds like I made a rookie mistake.

There is a very clear difference in the thickness by eye and feel. I'm going to replace the sections that are really bad, but I have to keep the rest because that's what I invested in. Do you all use different tubing for different uses or do you just go with the rigid for everything?

Thanks for the responses.

Sean

spencer11
02-04-2013, 05:51 PM
i use rigid for everything, drops and lats, some use semi for drops cause its more flexiable, but for me rigid is cheaper and works for me

stoweski
02-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Rigid for lats & semi for drops... as Spencer mentioned above.

Could you sell a roll or two (don't know how much you have) to someone and get a roll of rigid?

Dave Y
02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I have used semi rigid for laterals with no problems. I prefer semi rigid, because rigid can pull apart and fittings can move in the tubing causing vacuum leaks.

spencer11
02-04-2013, 07:24 PM
what do you mean pull apart? ive never had that happen or have fitting in rigid tubing pull out, i have trouble getting fitting in it even with a tubing tool cause it dosent stretch

foursapssyrup
02-04-2013, 08:57 PM
depending where the tubing is stretched, you may not have to replace it. if it is stretched at the beginning of your line, with only a couple taps running into it, you probably are safe leaving it, even if the inside diameter is a little smaller. if there are 5+ taps, thats a different story.

we used rigid tubing for all of our mains, drops, and laterals and have not had any problems other than squirrels. we have had an issue with fitting popping, but they were usually re-used fittings.

unc23win
02-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I think it depends on the tubing brand. Each person has their own preference. I use Lapierre Semi Rigid for everything drops and laterals. I think it is prestretched good as it seems to hold shape plus I think I get it for $50.50 a roll. In the past I have used the leader 30p for laterals and the maple felx for drops. Being a one man show I like being able to use one line for everything.

maple flats
02-05-2013, 04:36 AM
I only use the Leader 30P now. In the past I've used Lapierre (thought it stretched too much) and for drops only I tried Flex Max. I still have part of a roll of the Flex Max but after that is gone I'll stick with my favorite, 30P. I use it for laterals and drops, I find it good quality and easy to work with.

ennismaple
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Sounds like you over-stretched it. Of the 120 rolls I've stretched over the last 6 years we had only one bad roll where a 50 ft section was stretched almost as thin as a pencil lead - before it came off the roll! I'm pretty sure it was a QA/QC issue.

Maplebrook
02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Sean, How are you putting your tubing and fittings together? Tubing tools or the hot water method? When I started with tubing I couldn't justify the cost of tools for a small amount of tubing so I carried a thermos of hot water with me. I'd dip the tubing in the water for a few seconds and then slip it onto the fitting. I noticed some stretching like you describe.
Darren

Wallopt
02-05-2013, 07:28 PM
This is my first year with tubing. I used the Leader Flex Max for all my drops, laterals and mains, it seems to be working well a this point(30 taps). I didn't know about heating the tubing it sounds like a great idea(Thanks for the tip Darren). It was a struggle connecting drop lines after a while. Jim

SeanD
02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I use a one-handed tubing tool. It sounds like I should have used rigid tubing and and taken it a little easier on the pulling. I had heard the stuff was indestructible before hand, but apparently I should have remembered I have super strength - I guess. Looking back, I realize that when I was deciding on the kind of tubing, I put too much weight on the part of the description that said it was best for tubing that was going to be taken down each season. Now that I have a little more experience, I realize it's a lot easier to add tension to the longer, open runs with some pull from the side rather than pulling it so hard up the line.

Sean

Maplebrook
02-07-2013, 07:38 PM
"Now that I have a little more experience, I realize it's a lot easier to add tension to the longer, open runs with some pull from the side rather than pulling it so hard up the line."

Sean,
See my "thoughts on maple" in my signature...it's experiences like yours that I say such!;)

SeanD
02-08-2013, 12:32 PM
I cut out the deformed section of tubing today. The part that is stretched thin is right where my hand held it as I pulled it around a tree that has an end ring on it.

I also changed where a couple of laterals tie in so they came in on the down hill side of the mainline and added better tension to the line. Once I did that, others that were in a good place shifted to less than ideal places. I think a better saying for me is "The perfect is the enemy of the good.":-|

Sean

Typical8
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Yeah, you got bad batch of tubing. I don't care if it is rigid or semi-rigid that should not happen. Only seen that happen when a tree fell across the line and when I was pulling tubing with my 4-wheeler and it got snagged.

unc23win
02-09-2013, 07:57 PM
I don't think there is anyway you caused the tubing to do that.

TunbridgeDave
02-10-2013, 07:27 AM
30p and only 30p. I've had some of that "flex" tubing before and it did the same thing. It will never come off the fittings but if a branch falls on the lines it will make it stretch like that and render it useless.

Big countrys lss
02-12-2013, 09:06 PM
I have been using Lapierre semi rigid 10 year tubing for several years. Pulling about 400 rolls. I've had only 1 defective roll and very few pull apart. I try to pull my lines straight and tight as I can. At times pulling with all my mite