PDA

View Full Version : Angle off of a T

SeanD
02-03-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm using 5/16" mainline on gravity and tie in my laterals with a T. It's tubing I put up last year and had to take down. In some places after I adjusted the tension, the Ts don't really line up well with the trees anymore. Most are only off a little, but some form an angle closer to a Y than a T. Is there a rule of thumb for how far off 90 degrees I can go before the tubing crimps or closes the inside too much?

Sean

unc23win
02-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You would have to have a pretty extreme angle to shut it off. Usually you will see sap build up at the fittings. You could change some of the T fittings for Y fittings if you worried about it, but you would then also be shortening the line by doing that as well.

Four D Acre Farms
02-04-2013, 06:57 AM
What is the temp when reinstalling lines? and the lines have been stored for most of a year they seem to change i have had similar situations and as long as the tubing is not kinked you should be alright and you will probably find as i did that as the weather warms the tubing will return to the way it was originally. that is assuming you have run it the excact same routing as you had before. I had one line that didnt fit and it was because my rerouting was slightly different around the trees.

maple flats
02-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Tees are seldom straight up from the lateral. In fact, I have my guys install them 3-4" before or after the tree. That is because there seems to be less squirrel damage that way. The taps are then run however they're needed to tap where we want to on the tree. I make my laterals 32" and can tap anywhere around the tree. If a tree is real big I may even have an occasional longer drop, very few of my trees get 2 taps.

SeanD
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I think temp. and a little rerouting play the biggest role. I'll probably be okay with all, but one that I think will bother me.

Part of my trouble is that I don't have a two-handed tool, so last year when I did this for the first time, I would pull, mark and cut to get each lateral in. Then I'd move on to the next lateral. I was pretty close most times, but over 200' or so every little bit off adds up. The good part I have going for me is there are enough that are off past the trees and others before the trees that it kinda works out.

Thanks for the input.

Sean

Four D Acre Farms
02-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Sean i know first hand how hard it is to spend the money on the line tool but after i bought one it quickly paid for itself in the time it saved making drop lines as well as how quickly you can go back and install your drops into your lates. i would recommend getting one for yourself. It is not an item you will have to replace very often like taps, tubing etc. I also work full time so when i have time to work on lines it is a premuim. good luck this season hope its a good one for you.

foursapsyrup1
02-05-2013, 07:55 AM
SEan,
I have a two handed tool that you can use if you'd like - after Saturday when we reset the rest of our lines.