PDA

View Full Version : Why are my trees bleeding need help.

rossbarramen
02-03-2013, 03:41 PM
i was puting my taps intoday n i noticed the small amount of sap that was coming out was driping below the tap n not into it. i have 5/15 tree savers n i used a 5/16 bit! what did i do wrong or is this not a problem?

happy thoughts
02-03-2013, 03:52 PM
You may have tapped them in too hard and split the wood or more likely your hole was not drilled perfectly round but oval. That's easy enough to do if you wiggle the bit while drilling or don't hold onto it with steady hands. You'll get better with practice. There's not much you can do at this point and I wouldn't worry about it. You should still get plenty of sap.

maple flats
02-03-2013, 04:39 PM
I agree, sounds like you drove the taps too hard. In the future, drill the hole (max 1.5-2" deep) and do not wobble the bit, then use a light tool to gently "tap" them in. I use a pr. of 7" lineman's pliers and gently tap them with the flat side of the jaw. Quit when you first hear the sound of the tapping change.

heus
02-03-2013, 05:16 PM
The leaks will most likely sugar over in a few mild says.

rossbarramen
02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
I very well may have over tapped them into hard, isther anyway to fix this???? can i take the tap out n hammer it in not as hard?

happy thoughts
02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
I very well may have over tapped them into hard, isther anyway to fix this???? can i take the tap out n hammer it in not as hard?

No just leave them be. If the wood is split you can't unsplit it.

Indiana-Jones
02-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Is it a big tree with thick bark? I have had holes leak behind the bark, didn't really get the shoulder of the tap in to the white wood where it could seal.

sugarwoodacres
02-11-2013, 06:51 AM
I switched from reg 5/16 taps to the check valves with stubbies this year . I have 50% of my taps bleeding as well and am certian I didnt wiggle the bit . Not so glad I switched yet

sapman
02-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I noticed a bunch of mine bleeding down the tree last week, too. Don't believe I cracked the bark, or drilled a bad hole, cause I don't get a vac leak on them. I wonder if the vac isn't getting to those spouts at times, and the sap gets backed up and bleeds around the spout. Next day the bark was dry, and sap was running.

Russell Lampron
02-17-2013, 10:33 AM
I see it around a few taps here every season, mostly on the smaller red maples. It will stop leaking on its own in a short time and you will get plenty of sap.