PDA

View Full Version : How far would you go for one tap.

Indiana-Jones
02-02-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm trying out tubing for the first time this season. I have a mainline ran about 500 feet up a ravine with steep sides. There maybe 10 degree rise on the main up hill to the end.

I'm running the laterals up and out of the steep sides, most of the taps are close, on the sides of the ravine. But there are some maples up on the flat. My question is how far is too far to pull 5/16 tube to one average tree?

Mark-NH
02-02-2013, 09:58 PM
I would consider it more of an economical question than functionality. Is it worth the expense of running all the line for just one tap? You can really gobble up a roll of lateral on those long runs.

TerryEspo
02-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I would think that if the sap was slow any given day, would it warm up too much before joining the mainline.

So, consider your slope and sun exposure and think if it will warm up the sap. Full sun, long run with not much slope sounds bad to me.

I would like to hear tho how far peeps have a single line run just to get at the one tree that looks attractive, lol !!

Good luck .

Terry

unc23win
02-02-2013, 10:10 PM
I would agree with Mark say you have a 100' run that would be about $10 worth of tubing to get to the first tap kind of expensive add another $2 for a a spout, drop line, T and an end ring brings you to $12 for the first tap of course once you runt that far each additional tap will cost less than the first. It depends on your expected return and the sap yeild that you get do you expect to break even or make money in the first year? Or would you be ok waiting for your return in year 2 or 3? Yet still once all of your close trees are tapped if you desire to expand you might have to have longer runs.

Indiana-Jones
02-03-2013, 03:24 AM
I would agree with Mark say you have a 100' run that would be about $10 worth of tubing to get to the first tap kind of expensive add another $2 for a a spout, drop line, T and an end ring brings you to $12 for the first tap of course once you runt that far each additional tap will cost less than the first. It depends on your expected return and the sap yeild that you get do you expect to break even or make money in the first year? Or would you be ok waiting for your return in year 2 or 3? Yet still once all of your close trees are tapped if you desire to expand you might have to have longer runs.

I guess that I will get all of the close taps hooked up and see what materials I have left. I'm thinking better to put the tubing to use than to have it setting in a box in the shop.
I had the idea of making a dump station up at the high end of the main for the few stragglers that could be on buckets. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks to everyone for the input.

PS. While climbing up and sliding down the steep sides of the ravine, pulling, stretching tubing, fighting my spoolie. All I can say is think of the money I'm saving on a gym membership.

TRAILGUY
02-03-2013, 06:34 AM
my first question is are you gravity or vac? If your gravity you get around 9 gallons at $.50 a gallon or $4.50 a year and vacuum around 18 gallons for $9.00 a year The tubing should last around 10 years. My farthest run for 1 tap is less then 50 ft. on gravity less if close to road and I can hang a bucket.

spencer11
02-03-2013, 06:58 AM
i have 1 lateral line that is about 130 feet(gravity) to the farthest tap, the whole line has 3 taps total, i assume your on gravity for now, but on vac if there is a tree or 2 within 100' or so of the mainline i would go for it because it would be worth it, gravity maybe not

Tweegs
02-03-2013, 07:40 AM
Another thought to consider:

I’ve got 250’ of mainline and something close to 400’ of lateral out just to pick up 5 taps, but this is in a stand of relatively new growth. I ran laterals past trees that I’ll be able to tap within 2 to 3 years so that all I’ll have to do is cut in drops. The main is run so that over the next 10 years I can just add more laterals and keep them fairly short. Within the life span of this tube, this area should grow from 5 to approximately 30 taps, maybe more, and I’ll be able to get them online with a minimum amount of future expense and work as they mature.

I figure that if I can benefit from having those taps on tube, either from an ease of collection or an increased output from vacuum standpoint, and there is further potential in this area, why not hook them up?

maple flats
02-03-2013, 08:00 AM
I'd only run maybe 30-35' for 1 tap but only if it is a bigger tree with a good canopy. However, are there trees on the flat where you could pick up 3-5 and then go down the steep bank to the main? If yes, that will give you good natural vacuum on that lateral, only 1 will do little if any until you have enough to fill the lateral, as such, your natural vac will have less drop ans less vacuum. If you could even run a longer lateral on the flat with at least 1% slope, then go straight to the main you could run a lot of taps on it. I have a friend who runs 1 lateral for a very long run up a fairly steep hill with 53 taps. That lateral shoots sap into the caged tote he uses at the bottom. Gravity works wonders, put it to work.