PDA

View Full Version : Not homemade, but its the best I've got

Trout Brook Maple
02-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Trying this set up this year with 25 or so taps. High pressure propane 3 burners with steam pans. Nothing homemade, but I have some plans in mind thanks to you guys.....

maple flats
02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
It will use lots of propane $ unless you can connect to a bulk tank. Try to find a way to hook to a bulk tank if you have one at your house. That will cut propane costs to almost bearable. In any case, it will make syrup. For the best syrup, always add to one pan and laddel to pan 2 then pan 3. that will give you lighter syrup, rather than adding raw sap to each as you boil water away. Either way, welcome aboard, and this is addictive. Before you know it, you'll have hundreds and then thousands of taps.

Trout Brook Maple
02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Dave - Thanks for the advice - I got a big ladle this year to do that. I've been doing 12 buckets for a few years, and boiling over turkey fryer burner - the usual routine for a rookie - but SO inefficient. While inefficient, I hope to evaporate a little quicker, and lighter, with this set up. I've seen a homemade propane evaporator on here with firebrick and all that I think would help alot.

I do get a Christmas card from the welding supply where I get my 20 lb propane tanks filled.

I have a neighbor that is a commercial producer, and he's been a great resource for me. Two years ago, I thought he was putting sap IN my buckets while I was at work, just to keep me busy!

maple flats
02-03-2013, 05:04 PM
I used to use turkey friers for reheating syrup to 190 before filtering and a propane canner. I used 20# tanks and when I switched to a bulk tank my propane cost dropped to about 1/3 of what it was before on a per gal of syrup basis.

325abn
02-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Why and/or how does having a larger propane tank reduce the amount of propane used? Or does it just reduce the cost of the propane?

wiam
02-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Why and/or how does having a larger propane tank reduce the amount of propane used? Or does it just reduce the cost of the propane?

$/gallon .

325abn
02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
I had a setup just like yours, I suggest you modify your burners so they are closer to your pans also put some block around the base to keep the heat in.

Trout Brook Maple
02-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Wanted to let you guys know it works. Not efficient, but it works. Couple gallons made so far. Propane man is happy..

Spartazoo
02-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Price per gallon using small tanks will eat you alive...ask me how I know.

Run Forest Run!
02-28-2013, 11:03 PM
For the best syrup, always add to one pan and laddel to pan 2 then pan 3. that will give you lighter syrup, rather than adding raw sap to each as you boil water away.

Quick question for maple flats and/or anyone else who wants to add their comment...

Why would the syrup be better if you add raw sap to only one pan? I will be running two steam trays at the same time this year and am very anxious to use the best method.

Mogli
03-01-2013, 07:36 AM
The less time you can spend heating the sap to reach the desired brix (sugar concentration) the lighter the syrup will be. If you add sap only to one pan and move the sap forward as it condenses the resulting syrup is lighter.

Quick question for maple flats and/or anyone else who wants to add their comment...

Why would the syrup be better if you add raw sap to only one pan? I will be running two steam trays at the same time this year and am very anxious to use the best method.

325abn
03-01-2013, 07:50 AM
Lighter syrup does not always mean "better" syrup. True I think we all strive for the lighter stuff but I will go out on a limb and say that most folks prefer darker stuff on thier table. Yes?

I think the best thing for you to do with your rig is to build up around the outside paramiter with brick and get those burners right up on the bottom of your pans. I bet you will see your evap rate go up and your fuel usage go down. I dont think your going to make any really light stuff but what you are going to make is old fashin batch style syrup. Yummy Yummy!! Have fun

Run Forest Run!
03-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the answers. Looks like I've got some experimenting in my future. Should be fun.

sk8heaven
03-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Well, I may just have one of the most elaborate (translated = you just have to go with what you've got) propane batch processing setups out there:o If you look at the pics - the biggest pan is where all the raw sap is fed from my head tank - three high pressure burners with a 2x4 flat pan. From there I take from the bottom of the pan to feed the second pan (2x3 with two high pressure burners). Then I feed from the bottom of tht pan to the 2x2 pan on a turkey burner. I boil off all of the sap I collect each day (anywhere from 75-150 gallons) and wash all of the pans every night. Yes, there have been some very long days! So - I can speak from experience when I tell you this is expensive fuel costs - comes out to about $40 a gollon for me. My saving grace is that I sell it all retaill and gross about $100 a gallon. Thankfully after this year I SHOULD have accumulted enough profit to pay for a 2x6 wood fired arch to cut way down on the fuel costs. I can tell you that every yer I continue to make very light syrup using this method ... the picture is pretty typical. Not sure if it is because my sap is all boiled down every day or because I wash the pans every day or what but this is the color I get all season long.

KV Sappers
03-03-2013, 03:22 PM
sk8heaven,
Like your setup. I also boil down with a 71423 high pressure burner setup. Are those 100# tanks I see in your pics? How long can you run on a 100# tank with your 3 burner? I've been running mine with 30# and I can get about 3-4 hrs on a tank before one of the burners goes out. I'm looking into going a 100# tank and was just wondering how it preforms for you.

sk8heaven
03-03-2013, 06:35 PM
KV Sappers,
I actually connect two 100 lb tanks together with a manifold to feed the three burners - I also got rid of the regulator that came with the stove and bought an adjustable high pressure regulator from the local hardware store. I also run a two burner setup with two tanks manifolded together also (I can post pics if you want). I can't really tell you time-wise on the two tank setup - I can boil down about 400-500 gallons of sap on each two tank setup before the pressure starts getting too low - then these low pressure tanks are moved over to my single burner stove and I get another couple of hours on it. The problem I always had when running the 30 lb tanks - or even a single 100 lb tank was that the tank would start freezing up and my output would drop. My local propane guy did all the calcs for me and made the manifolds for me as well.

KV Sappers
03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
KV Sappers,
I actually connect two 100 lb tanks together with a manifold to feed the three burners - I also got rid of the regulator that came with the stove and bought an adjustable high pressure regulator from the local hardware store. I also run a two burner setup with two tanks manifolded together also (I can post pics if you want). I can't really tell you time-wise on the two tank setup - I can boil down about 400-500 gallons of sap on each two tank setup before the pressure starts getting too low - then these low pressure tanks are moved over to my single burner stove and I get another couple of hours on it. The problem I always had when running the 30 lb tanks - or even a single 100 lb tank was that the tank would start freezing up and my output would drop. My local propane guy did all the calcs for me and made the manifolds for me as well.
sk8heaven,
Thanks for all the info. If you could post pics for me that would be great. I know what you mean by the tanks freezing up. Thats what happens to me now, I was hoping by going to a 100# tank that would help alot. Now, I'm thinking I may need to do what you have. If I can show my propane guy the setup you have maybe he can duplicate the exact thing for me. Thanks again.

sk8heaven
03-04-2013, 05:52 PM

KV sappers -

I hope they are large enough for you to see. If not PM me your email address and I will send the full size pics.

KV Sappers
03-04-2013, 09:03 PM
sk8heaven,
The pics are just fine. Thank you for all your help. Next year I plan to have a much better propane setup. Thanks again. Hope your season continues well for you.