PDA

View Full Version : Connecting drops to lateral line

aws
02-02-2013, 01:03 PM
I have one thing I am confused on. My lateral lines are installed and tight. So when I go to install the drops and connect my t's I will cut the lateral and slide it onto each end of the t. Won't I lose all the tension in my line, and have it drop to the ground when I cut it each time? Is this a two man job, or do you use a tool to hold the lines before cutting? Best I could tell the tubing tools only push the tube and fitting together. I am sure there is an obvious answer but some how I feel a little dumbfounded on this little issue. I couldn't find any clear answers with my many internet searches.

spencer11
02-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Normally you would use a 2 handed tool that holds both ends before you cut it and then presses the drop on. They are really expensive so you may want to look into building one

red maples
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
ok here is what you do with out a 2 handed too although I used my firends 2 handed tool and WOW love it gotta get me one of those!!! $200. anyhow. It takes a little longer doing it this way but it works. Take a sharpie and make a mark about 6 inches next to each tree youre planning on tapping. then let slack into the lateral. or undo it all together from one end. then go through an attach all your Tee's then pull it tight again. you should be all set. The main thing is that you push the tubing all the way on both barbs of the fittings if you only hit one they will come apart or you will end up on the ground when pulling them tight.

sjdoyon
02-02-2013, 05:17 PM
you can get them for one hundred dollars. The only issue I run into is the installing of an extra dropline on the end if it is a double, no issues with the rest.

https://www.leaderevaporator.com/p-211-one-hand-tubing-fittings-assembly-tool.aspx

aws
02-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Sounds good. I started to weld up a tool. Just a couple of C clamps welded to an old bicycle handle bars. Clamps are about 22" apart. Should give me enough tube in between to dip the ends in my thermos of hot water. I could post pics if anyone has any interest. Thanks for the replies.

unc23win
02-02-2013, 05:51 PM
You could always just start at your connection and build your way out to to the end installing drops and any other fittings as you go this way you can pull the slack out as you go. For em it was easier than running the line and then fitting with the tension each time I amde 1 connection. I did Quite a few this way before I got a 2 handed tool. Another thing I did was I hooked a few drops together as a set of 2 or 3 in the house with hot water makes for a few less connections in the woods.

Sunday Rock Maple
02-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Once you get your two handed tool made you will still get slack as the width of the "T" bases add up to a couple inches over 5 taps. One of the best tips I ever got from this website last year was that when cutting in "T's" first clamp one side and then open the tool up a few inches and then clamp the other side and then cut the tubing with the tool knife on the one side and with a tubing cutter on the other. Then when you put the "T" in you're actually taking up slack on each "T" instead of losing it.

tonka
02-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Search for "tubing tool" there are plenty of pictures and even blue prints posted for people to use. I actually made myself one today and I think it ruffly cost me less then $20 not considering my time and wire from welding. Can't wait to get out and try it out.

SevenCreeksSap
02-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Sounds good. I started to weld up a tool. Just a couple of C clamps welded to an old bicycle handle bars. Clamps are about 22" apart. Should give me enough tube in between to dip the ends in my thermos of hot water. I could post pics if anyone has any interest. Thanks for the replies.

I would definitely like to see your bicycle handlebars tubing tool. I've been looking at a caulking gun to see how that could be made into a tubing tool. I made a one hand tool based on ideas from here and it works fine, the pliers welded to vice grip style. I usually just tuck the end that would fall under my arm or leg to hold it, clamp the tool on the side I want to attach first, then cut with the razor knife. If you have a grip on everything it doesnt fall, and then usually have to stretch it back to clamp it all together. if you have your end slide in and as loose as it can go, you dont lose much of your tension, then take the rest up with the end slide. Everyone seems to have their own way. I'm working on a steep hill so every step counts. I don't want to trudge up and down 5 times to get back and forth. I try to run the line up, tie it off with the slide, pull it as tight as I can, and work back down to the mainline cutting in taps. If I'm lucky only have to go back up once to tighten the slide.

aws
02-03-2013, 06:26 AM
SevenCreeksSap. I'll post a picture later today, when I finish the last few welds. But here's a description in the mean time. Pretty simple. Two C clamps held about 22" apart. Tighten each clamp on the tubing, then cut the tubing. At 22" I am hoping to have enough length in between to dip my tubing into hot water to soften it and then slide the tubing into the fittings. I thought about making one out of wood, but I am just learning how to weld so any opportunity to practice is quickly seized.
Pics should be up in a few hours.

Starting Small
02-03-2013, 07:49 AM

My brother made this yesterday, about $25 total. Hope this helps,
-Dave

aws
02-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Here are the pics. Nothing to it.

aws
02-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Startingsmall,
That looks real good. Let us know how it works once you give it a try. If I've learned anything it's that most of my homemade contraptions don't work perfect on the first try, they always need the bugs worked out.