PDA

View Full Version : Locating Releaser

Kevin
04-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Currently I have 1400 taps on vacuum but the problem is the last 400 feet is quite flat due to the power supply for the pump. Releaser is currently dumping into a small tank and then gravity feeding down to the large tank on the main road for easy pickup during the season. What I was thinking about doing is moving the releaser and large (1550 gallon tank) back 400 feet and eliminate the flat section of the line. Since the power is fixed...and so is the pump, would I be able to run the 1 1/2" vacuum line the 400 feet to the tank and still have 16-17 HG at the releaser. I am using a 5 HP Universal pump. The thought is I could eliminate the small tank and the flat section of pipeline. Does anybody see any issues and do they think this makes since? Could the 1 1/2 line just be laid on the ground and rolled up in the sping and put back out right before the season?
thanks

brookledge
04-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Are you not getting good vac. transfer through the flat section? How much vac. are you losing in that section. You may be able to run a dry line on top of the wet line until you get to a good slope. Or you could add a vacuum booster.
I think you need to know how much vacuum you are loosing in the flat section before you plan on making changes.
Also laying lines on the ground is asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned. Even if it is a dry line. When you get condensation in the line and if you have a low spot the water will run to the low spot and freeze and you will be done. Especially when you can have a lot of snow over it.
Otherwise I would say that 1 1/2" line is adequate to transfer the vacuum 400 feet to the releaser If you move the large tank and releaser back 400 ft. can you still get to the tank to collect it? You can always pump it from the woods out to your truck you just want to make sure that that line is able to drain so it doesn't freeze.
Keith

maplehound
04-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Kevin
For several years I ran a vaccuume pump ( 3hp) in my garage. that had a 1" line going 900ft to a 300 gallon zero bulk tank. I would go to the tank once or twice a day and pump it back the 900ft to the sugar house. I am sure I lost a couple pounds of vaccuume but I was able to get 15 - 18 lbs at the tank and at least 12 lb at the tap. I think you would do better with the bigger pump and the shorter distance with a much bigger pipe.
Ron

Russell Lampron
04-27-2006, 05:40 AM
Kevin,

I am running a 3/4" pipe 900' from my vacuum pump to my releaser. I only have 200 taps but they are spread out over a large area and I am able to maintain 18" of vacuum. I don't lose any vacuum from pump to releaser. If your vacuum pump has enough CFM's it shouldn't be a problem.

For the vacuum pipe you want to cap both end in the off season to keep water out and suspend it if possible. The slope in it or lack of it won't matter as it is only transfering vacuum.

Russ

Mike
04-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Id put the pump by the road and if ya need to lower your tank dig a hole...I had to do that for my releaser....we dug the tank down a foot.....works great.....why go off the rd if you dont have to......My lines ar over 3000 ft away and I have 1" and 3/4" lines with no dry line....700 taps and had no problem with my vac pump.....I had as much vaccum at the farthest line as I did at the pump....... :D ...I may add a couplke of boosters to see if theres any difference in flow ...Mike

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
05-02-2006, 06:37 PM
post edited

maplecrest
05-19-2006, 11:31 AM
ok i have read everyones ideas hear are mine. i have done alot of things in my years of vac. what i would do is with 1400 taps iwould go with the 1and 1/2 vac line as a dry line to a booster manifold that all lines would run into. vac line on top and wet line on bottom with all lines connecting inbetween. so on full flows the sap can come down dry if needed on the flat areas. then you want to put your pump at the tank next to the road. i run a 220 line that i roll up every summer. you need to go to a electric supply company with motor spec. and distance to get the right wire. this is the part that costs the money!! but i found it to be worth it. i built a small shed next to tank that houses pump that opens on the sides to keep cool and dry. and easy to check and add oil. my tank is right on the road i can see the thermometer next to the releaser as i pull up to the tank to get a load. when that was on gravity i did the tank to tank thing did not work well as others talked about condinsation and freezing . the top tank would be running over waiting for the line to thaw out to the bottom tank because of the lack of slope. on start up if wet line is froze the sap will run down dry line until wet thaws. i find that it freezes about 3 feet before the releaser so i always carry a torch with me. seeing that you are only 50 minutes from me you can take a ride over and check out what i have got going before you do anything. i can show you some other ideas that my neighbors are doing. jeff