PDA

View Full Version : What the * is this?

toquin
02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Bottom of sap pan after 10 hrs of boiling on both pans. Is it because of the 60 degree weather we had last week or because I put brick under flue pan and it stayed warm all nite? Sap sat overnite before I boiled, and overnite in flue pan before finishing next day Looked clear as a bell when I first started. Thought it was some kind of creature!

jmayerl
02-01-2013, 11:26 AM
That's not good, looks like snotty syrup is in your future. I would drain and wash everything so your next batch doesn't get infected. Sap doesn't sit well when it gets warm. I only saw this at my buddy's lady year when it got real warm at the end of season, he had to dump 3 barrels of syrup.

maple flats
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure what it is, I've never seen something like that. Did you get it up out of the pan yet? Does it stay stuck as a unit when touched? Are you sure no one or no critter could get to it? Was the pan covered?

happy thoughts
02-01-2013, 11:41 AM
The last picture I've seen like that was taken by the Mars rover. Now I just have to ask, lol- Do you know what you did with your chewing gum last night? If it's not on your bed post where it belongs then I think I can tell you where to find it :o

Seriously, I'm not sure what that is either.

DonMcJr
02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Got me clueless too...Maybe post it in the main Evaporator forum to get more views...I'll see if I can move it and leave a re-direct here...

* it's now in this section and the Evaporator Section...maybe more folks will see it and identify...

tom jr.
02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
looks like snot from your tubing lines to me got threw your filter somehow. or maybe its pipe thread tape:o