PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of finally making syrup myself..

Drp482
01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
I have been selling sap on and off for around 8 years.. I have around 150 - 200 taps but I have other property I can tap that will put me around 700-1000 taps. I have lots of supplies for making around 800 health spiles 5/16, 5 rolls of new tubing, a few hundred drop lines made, 50 plastic buckets and 5/16 plastic j spout taps, around 400 plastic corn syrup 5 gallon buckets, truck tanks and Stacks & Stacks of rough cut 1x lumber I had sawed about 8 or 10 years ago for a sugar house. Wanting to take the next step and buy an Evaporator but very nervous.. Been looking at 3x10 CDL.. Is this a good size to be looking at??? I know it's tons of work and money.. Is there money made in the end of it???

adk1
01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
if you are nervous, buy a smaller evap like a 2x6.. find them anywhere. 200 taps will be ideal for a 2x6. Boil off the 200 taps and then sell the rest of your sap. You will make money

unc23win
01-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Are you thinking about a new or used evaporator? I think it is a pretty good size for the size operation you are talking about. Maybe bigger than you need to start but not bad for the future. I know a lot of people are finding out that with the new RO technologies coming out smaller evaporators can be very efficient.

Dave Y
01-31-2013, 05:56 PM
If you are going to by an evaporator, ask your self some questions, like what type of fuel am I going to use. Will I expand in the future, most sugarmakers do. will I want an RO or steamaway. How long do I want to boil each day. If I am going to burn wood ,how much wood am I willing to cut and is it available. then you decide what size best fits your needs. Remember the least expensive evaporator isn't always the best. Good luck!

325abn
01-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Curius as to how much would you sell your sap for?

Drp482
02-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Dave y.. Im going to use wood got basically an endless supply. My guess is that I will have no less than 700 Taps my First year and I will get larger.. I dont want to spend hours and hours boiling.. I want a quality evaporator and im looking towards New.. I'm a very clean and neat type of person.. I want people when they walk in to my sugar house to be impressed because it is a food product and i've been places that i wouldn't eat the syrup just because of stuff not being neat and clean.. Maybe 2 or 3x8 might be better and back it with a RO unit later.. THANK YOU All FOR YOUR INPUT AND HELP!!!!!