PDA

View Full Version : Not the best welder !!! Fitting question ??

TerryEspo
01-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Well my fourth evening in my garage trying to make something that resembles an arch !!

I got my steel panels cut this eve. and dry fit them. I rested my pan on top and can see some gaps, maybe my pan, maybe my welding but gaps non the less.

Since I have my ceramic blanket coming to me,,,,,Can I split it apart and lay a thin layer around the perimeter of my pan to seal the air gaps? Is the a better way than what I,m thinking ?

Here is how she looks as of now, no panels welded, they are just sitting in place.650765086509

Hope to hear a suggestion for me.

Thanks.

Terry

Spanielslovesappin
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Yes! even if they fit perfect you would still do this. Most dealers sell pre cut skinny pan seals but your cut and split will work just fine! Also stop beating yourself up about your welding... it looks good and i give you mad props for your efforts! :o)

Spanielslovesappin
01-30-2013, 10:22 PM
I Mean :)

TerryEspo
01-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Can anyone tell me the name is of this product ? I am Googling wood stove tape, Ceramic Tape etc. and not sure if I am finding the right stuff.
Pan seals maybe ??
Thanks.

Terry

spencer11
01-31-2013, 11:11 AM
arch gasket

https://www.bascommaple.com/item/apgas5/

harley2003rkc
01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Your welding looks better then a lot of the welding I see from guys who call themselves professionals. Just remember that when metal heats and cools, it expands and contracts. Which means your work is always moving a little. This is why you constantly keep checking square to see if you need to pull the next weld in a little. Personally I like to tack up the entire work piece to help prevent one end from shifting.

JAMIE
01-31-2013, 02:11 PM
You can also get gasket material from Atkinson Maple Supplies.I ordered some and had it in three days.

ericjeeper
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
I use fiberglass sill sealer. Comes in a roll to be placed under the bottom plate in house framing. Or to wrap a pipe to prevent freezing. I have to drag my pan off as a batch cook. I sell windows and doors. so I buy it by the 1,000 feet. Cheapest and I just toss it when it gets to far gone and use a new piece.

backyard sugaring
01-31-2013, 08:45 PM
It looks great. Rail gasket is a good investment. Maple guys sells it for a reasonable price and it last for many years. Some people say they have an increase of 10 to 15 % on their rigs when they use it. You can use the blanket. The rail gasketis glued to my rails. Good luck this year. Lee

TerryEspo
02-04-2013, 09:25 AM
I have my ceramic blanket cut into my arch now.
With smaller leftover pieces of the ceramic blanket I made a border around my pan, seems fine useing the blanket instead of having to buy the gasket, looks right, hope it works.

Now, I need to figure out the door and then I am ready to burn wood and see any leaks !!

Terry

maple flats
02-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Looks good. You can use pan gasket but I prefer woodstove door gasket. It looks and works better. It also lasts far longer. Even factory made arches require the gasket. I'll bet your welding will end up just fine. Looks good in the pictures you posted.

TerryEspo
02-05-2013, 07:16 AM
I ended up bring my arch to a friends house who has a "stick" welder, he said he wanted to touch up my main welds and he wanted to assure that the metal had good penetration. I feel really good now that that it wont fall apart in the middle of a boil, lol.

I am now working on the rear stack plate area, grate and door. Have my blanket in place, playing around with the bricks as it does make a differeence how you place them, its kinda fun.

All is going well, I will get some pics up soon.

Thanks.

Terry