PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Sap Buckets

ibby458
04-25-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm thinking of buying some of the used aluminum sap buckets. One dealer cautioned me against them, saying they're flimsy and will get a hole in them just by dropping it, won't stay on the spout if the wind blows, and will split if sap freezes in them. Of course - he didn't have any for sale, but did have a lot of galvanised buckets.

Any truth to his allegations?

cheesegenie
04-25-2006, 06:17 PM
About half my buckets are aluminum, I wish they all were. Lighter to
handle, easy to clean, strong, no seams to leak. Had sap freeze in
them many times, no splits at all. Some of the hook holes are a bit worn
but they were all used when I got them. I would gladly trade my metal
galvanized for aluminum any day.

mountainvan
04-25-2006, 06:42 PM
buy the aluminum. cheese genie is right. get the larger size though.

VA maple guy
04-25-2006, 07:40 PM
I have both aluminum and galvanized, i've had leaks in my galvanized buckets, but not in my aluminum. The steel buckets will stay
on the trees better when it's windy, but the aluminum ones are the way to go.

Gerry

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-25-2006, 08:17 PM
I had over 100 aluminum and still have most of them and they were used many years before I got them. I freeze them completely full in the freezer and it never hurts them a bit! :D

Jay
04-25-2006, 11:20 PM
I used 55 of them this year with out a problem. The only thing I found was if they fell off the tree because of wind and such and were half to full of sap they might dent depending how the hit the ground. Didnt have any leak though. Jay

GregMVT
04-26-2006, 06:00 AM
I prefer the aluminum buckets too. I bought all of the ones I have used, about 100, and one of them had a pinhole in the bottom. My brother welded it for me and haven't had a problem with them. They sure clean up and look better than my galvanized buckets. The only problem I have with them is they tend to stick together worse and can be harder to get apart.

Greg

ibby458
04-27-2006, 05:28 AM
I guess the verdict is in. There ain't nuttin much wrong with Aluminum sap buckets!

I'm gonna try to get hold of a couple hundred by next spring. Thanks!