PDA

View Full Version : NY tapping

Mike in NY
01-30-2013, 04:24 PM
tried to get 100 taps in today, got 70 before the rain came. The later ones were dripping pretty good as I went along. Had a sm steady stream in the tank at 5pm. will finish this line tomorow weather copperative. new mainline,new laterals and new drops w/ them new clear check valves. should make a decent test sample as to get more new taps next yr

adk1
01-30-2013, 06:38 PM
where you located Mike? Seems abit early for us still even with this short warm up.

Mike in NY
01-31-2013, 07:06 AM
Kingsbury NY and yes it is about 4 weeks earlier than I have ever tapped but is an experiment. New line on trees I'v never tapped. All new lines and Leaders new clear check valve taps running into a stock tank so can track performance of new stuff.Between production on these taps and weather forecast will likely hold off at least till feb 20th before putting more out

Nobrihaven Farm
01-31-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty interested to see how this experiment works out - always wondered if tapping too early is a good/bad thing.

adk1
01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
yeah will be keeping an eye on this post

Mountain Winds Farm
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
We are starting our tapping on Monday.Should have around 1450 taps this season. Starting a little early to get ahead of any possible big snows. We usually tap around the 11th

Mike in NY
02-08-2013, 03:11 PM
yeah will be keeping an eye on this post

Ran slow the 30th and 31st; made about 1.5 gallons per tap. Will monitor production especially later in the season. If they don't dry up on me in mid/late march I am encouraged and probably would add more next yr

JSEDLAK
02-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Any idea on how long a hole will be good for if there isn't a run for an extended period of time?

maple flats
02-10-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm going to tap starting this next weekend and for the next several days til done.
Since I started using the CV adapters, I have not had a tap hole dry up. They are still running as I pull the taps even 3-4 weeks after the season ends. I'm using CV1 again this year, but plan to convert to CV2 next year.

adk1
02-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I am glad that I have held off. high today was 25 degrees and sunny. WIll be eyeballing next weekend especially since I have a three day weekend. IT will depend on the following weeks weather tho. I added two lateral lines into a 55gallon drum at my buddys place yesterday. picked up another 25 taps so I can officially say that I am tapping 200 taps now. 175 or so on gravity line and 25 on sacks/5gallon buckets. Hoping for a good season!

Sullydog
02-10-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm going to tap starting this next weekend and for the next several days til done.
Since I started using the CV adapters, I have not had a tap hole dry up. They are still running as I pull the taps even 3-4 weeks after the season ends. I'm using CV1 again this year, but plan to convert to CV2 next year.

I agree with you Dave. When we pulled the CV1 last year we were still seeing sap come out of them and it had been 2-3 weeks since we stopped boiling. We taped 2nd week of Feb this year and I am glad we did (missed the storm). We caught that early run for 3 days and made about 100 gals of syrup. I can't wait for the main thaw.