PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Boosters

ennismaple
04-25-2006, 12:04 PM
We do not use any vacuum boosters in our sugar bush but I'm starting to think we should! For background, we've got about 3800-4000 taps on 4 different vacuum systems because the topography will not allow us to collect everything to just one spot. A couple of our mainline runs are quite long and have up to 700 taps.

Is there a rule of thumb about how long your mainline can be without a booster?

Also, has anyone built their own vacuum booster? I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard - it's basically an empty chamber, right?

Thanks.

maplwrks
04-25-2006, 06:43 PM
I build mine out of 21/2" pvc pipe fittings, T's, el's, and short nipples. Run a dry line in the top and a wet line in the bottom, other mainlines go into the middle. I think there was an old thread on these back in Dec.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-26-2006, 06:43 AM
post edited

ennismaple
04-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your responses guys.

I saw that old post and could not figure out how to build the vacuum booster described. Does anyone have a picture of one they've built? I'd much rather build a homemade booster for $10 than pay over $200 for a commercial one.

I now this is a dumb questions but here goes: Do all vacuum boosters require a dry line back to your vacuum pump? I was hoping to boost the vacuum in the top end of our systems without doubling up our mainlines for large portions of the bush. If that's the only way then so be it.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
post edited