PDA

View Full Version : compressed air to clear holes?

bowtie
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
i know it is not recomended that you "blow" into a tap hole to clear the wood chips but could you use the canisters of compresed air, used to clean electronics, to do this. it justs seems no matter how sharp your bit is, it leaves wood chips in the hole, and i would think this just adds surface area for bacteria to colonize. i not sure it even matters but was thinking about it.

Maple Ridge
01-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I was at a seminar and this was brought up. Answer is not recomended. The air in the cans may not be clean and may contain bactera. They recomend a small wire brus used to ckean spiles 5/16. The other thing talked about was paroxide. They are finding out that it kills bactera and the only byproduct is water. It was sugested to clean the drill after each hole with it and use the brush to clean the hole. If you have alot of holes to drill, may not be worth the time.

Mikeh
01-30-2013, 04:56 PM
How about using a clean/new turkey baster to blow out the hole? Then you'd be blowing ambient air that should be fairly clean. I haven't tried it but I'm curious what the experts think.