PDA

View Full Version : How do you larger bucket guys (500 +) gather your sap?

mike z
01-29-2013, 09:13 PM
How do you larger bucket guys (500 +) gather your sap?

maplefrank
01-29-2013, 09:24 PM
team of horses......nothing better than a team in the woods......it may be slower, but its so peaceful!!!!!!

shane hickey
01-29-2013, 09:26 PM
I use a 80 horse tractor with 2 400 tanks to haul
It from the woods to the road where the semi waiting
And have 6 guys collect while i am pumping. The i get
Back they almost have enough sap in their buckets
To fill them again. They only use 2 buckets each until
Its time to dump then i throw off 120 buckets to stop
The down time.

jmayerl
01-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Sacks(or buckets), to 5 gallon pails, to truck tank, haul home, boil. Do it all over again the next day.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-30-2013, 04:43 AM
Last year ws our first year back on tubing but before that we gathered 2,300 ovr 40 acres. A crew of 6 to 8 guys and it took about 6 hours (depending upon snow depth and sap quantity). We used two tractors with one driver so that the driver could go back with the second while the first was draining. Also, what Shane said about lots of extra 5 gallon pails is important so the guys in the woods can keep moving while the tractor is taking a load back.

Limitpusher
01-30-2013, 08:35 PM
team of horses......nothing better than a team in the woods......it may be slower, but its so peaceful!!!!!!

Could you tell me a bit more on this? such as, breed, tank size, sled or wagon, any special shoes for them, etc. etc. I've always been curious bout this but no one round here uses them. and my drafts certainly could earn there keep a bit better. Thanks!

maple man
01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
We do1200 bag in 2 1/2hr 6. Guys 4 colecting 2 pumping . Barrels through the woods with lines running to truck. Use to do 2400 in 4 hrs.

PFHII
02-04-2013, 09:32 AM
5 Gallon buckets ( with wooden handles), 1-10 year old 1-6 year old ( his are the 2.5 gallon buckets) and 3-6 adults (depending on the day) 2- 90 Horse Kubota Tractors one with a 7 barrel tank built on the 3 pt hitch, one with a 8 barrel on a dray, oh and a couple cases of beer :).... We have made more roads every year our buckets are no more then 100 feet from the road makes it eaiser to intice people to help...this year we will be tapping over 2200 buckets no pipeline. We are not in it for the money this is a family tradition starting from My grandfather Arthur Toof and hoping to pass on to my kids.. It's all about the family. Happy Tapping everyone.

mike z
02-05-2013, 07:07 PM
How many taps did Grandfather Arthur have?

PFHII
02-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Before he passed away we had 4000 tapped both buckets and pipeline.

markct
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Just curious why so many folks use so many buckets? i understand the nostalgia as some have said but to me that would wear off and be satisfied by a hundred buckets near the road or sugarhouse etc! is there some other reason to use buckets in the thousands when tubing is so much easier for the most part

Limitpusher
02-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Just curious why so many folks use so many buckets? i understand the nostalgia as some have said but to me that would wear off and be satisfied by a hundred buckets near the road or sugarhouse etc! is there some other reason to use buckets in the thousands when tubing is so much easier for the most part

How many times do you have to pay for buckets? Once. How many times do you have to pay for tubing? Every 10 years or so... My opinion, that said, I'm not any where near that big. But I do get your point.

shane hickey
02-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Some land lords will only allow buckets

maplefrank
02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
tubing is a year round job, buckets r more work to gather but when ther washed your done till next year,after a micro burst takes a path threw the tubing and a major icestorm knocks it all down, i said thats enough tubing!!!!!!

markct
02-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Interesting opinions, i personaly find my tubing pretty trouble free year to year usualy a few minor repairs and tree and branch removal and im ok. i know i couldnt find the time to gather that many buckets every day, i would surely rather have the extra off season work of tubing repair than the daily work of buckets during the season when my time is most valuable