PDA

View Full Version : Tapped today 1-29-13 upper bucks county pa

deerslammer
01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I put out several taps today in the yard and got over 1 gallon of sap in about 5 hours. Most holes were dripping before i could put the spile in. With the warmer temps tomorrow maybe my gallon jugs will be overflowing by the time i'm off work. I hope this years syrup is as awesome as last years. Last years was very nutty and buttery it was the best syrup i've ever had.
dave

Maplewalnut
01-29-2013, 07:46 PM
Good luck slammer...it's the PA soil that makes it so good!!!

Sandersyrup
01-29-2013, 08:57 PM
I tapped 2 of 14 in Lancaster. Same result, about a gallon today. I ordered new taps and they have not come yet, sort if wishing I had them for this run. I also agree with the taste. Last years was so good. I blind tasted it next to some really high quality Vermont syrup and the stuff I made was so much more complex, buttery and nutty, the Vermont stuff was mostly just sugary sweet. But I also tap reds, silvers and norways so that probably has a lot to do with adding the extra flavor. My trees need about 100 gallons o sap to make a gallon.

deerslammer
02-12-2013, 07:32 AM
The sap started flowing again yesterday. it shut off with the snow and cold weather we had. I collected a little over 2&1/2 gallons this morning and the lines were dripping. Hopefully i will get another 3 gallons tonight so i can get enough for a meal or two. The kids are hungry for scrapple and pancakes both of course smothered in bucks county maple syrup.

deerslammer
02-14-2013, 06:48 PM
The saps flowing really well. I didn't empty jugs last night at 10pm when i got home it was snowing hard. This morning 3 of my gallon jugs were overflowing. I got about 8 gallons total today. Humidity is getting high in the house i'm going to need a sugar shack soon.

deerslammer
03-01-2013, 07:19 AM
I was getting to much humidity in house so i built a stainless beer keg evaporator and posted under Sap Handling, Tanks, Trucks and Pumps. It seems to work great i have to finish the boil today looks like over 1/2 gallon from yesterdays boil.