PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help

wcproctor
01-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi Maple family and friends! I’m writing to you because I have decided to ride the 2013 Pan Mass Challenge. http://www.pmc.org/ .For those of you who don’t know what the PMC is, it’s a bike ride from Sturbridge to Provincetown; a two day event riding 192 miles.
The Pan-Massachusetts Challenge raises money for life-saving cancer research and treatment at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute through an annual bike-a-thon that crosses the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Since its founding in 1980, the PMC has successfully melded support from committed cyclists, volunteers, corporate sponsors and individual contributors. All are essential to the PMC's goal and model: to attain maximum fundraising efficiency while increasing its annual gift. Our hope and aspiration is to provide Dana-Farber's doctors and researchers the necessary resources to discover cures for all cancers. Since 1980, the PMC has raised $338 million for cancer research and treatment at Dana-Farber. The majority of this impressive total is considered unrestricted support-critical, flexible funding that can be directed where and when it is needed most. As the PMC generates nearly half of the Jimmy Fund's annual revenue, every rider supports the efforts of more than 3,000 DFCI faculty and staff members as they make countless advances that have become the standard of cancer care and research. The event donates 100 percent of every rider-raised dollar directly to the cause.
Every year, I go down the street with Zak & Ben to cheer on the cyclists as they come through Uxbridge, and every year I tell the boys I’m going to do this. In the summer of 2012, Zak’s friend and teammate in baseball was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. Jake is only 10 years young- this is too young. He is currently undergoing chemo and radiation, and he’s fighting hard every day. This was the motivation for me to get moving.
On August 23 1970, my Grandmother Mary (Assadoorian) Laverdiere lost her battle with cancer. I was never able to meet my grandmother. In 1996 we lost my aunt, Bobby (Sullivan) Romasco, to cervical cancer. In 2005, my uncle Mike Sullivan, was diagnose with colon cancer. He fought it and won; he is cancer free now! On July 8 1969, Judy Belliveau, the mother of my wife Laura, passed away with Hodgkin’s Disease. Talking to people every day, you meet someone who has or had a close person that was diagnose with cancer.
I know that I can’t stop this, but we can all try to help. Please consider helping me reach my goal! Checks can be made out to me, Pan Mass or PMC, with my rider number on it. Donations can also be made at my link on PMC (below). Remember that the PMC is a 501c3 organization so all donations are 100% tax deductible. http://www2.pmc.org/profile/EL0100
E gift# EL0100
Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for any donation.
Eli Laverdiere
16 Storey Lane
Uxbridge, MA 01569