PDA

View Full Version : Product liability insurance vendor needed

narf
01-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Moving from a backyarder to a small commercial operation, perhaps selling 20 gallons. I'm told product liability insurance is needed for craft fairs and I welcome advice on insurance costs/companies.

shane hickey
01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Your homeowners insurance should cover
You with no problem its when you sell alot
Thats when it gets complicated.

Jmsmithy
01-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Hi folks

I'm not sure what the Trader rules are but I am an insurance agent/broker licensed in NY/NJ and all the NorthEastern states. Only in very specific instances will your homeowners cover business exposures and that is ONLY by specifically adding the coverage to your policy. It is NEVER just "part of the policy". In addition, I've never seen any type of products liability coverage on a homeowners policy. There may be exceptions in the cases of certain policies but doubtful, I'd certainly need more specifics. I'd be glad to answer any questions etc if you PM or email me. It's a very specific line of coverage, food products. You also need to contend with General Liability for those folks who give tours etc of their sugar houses. As for fairs, farmers markets etc, GENERALLY, the folks running those events require a certificate of insurance which is printed as an industry standard document. It serves as legal evidence of insurance and is specific only to the types of coverage you actually have (eg, liability, products liability, commercial auto etc etc).... Let me know any questions...

tuckermtn
01-29-2013, 02:03 AM
I use Peerless for property coverage (sugarhouse and contents) and for product liability. I did have a rider on my homeowners (Cooperative Insurance out of Middlebury VT. but I exceeded their allowable production for sales a few years back and now have Peerless. Cost around $500- 550 per year. Happy so far, but of course I have not had a claim;)

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-29-2013, 05:04 AM
You will be operating a farm business and will need to file a schedule F tax form. Talk to an agent about a farm liability package.

maple flats
01-29-2013, 05:47 PM
I use Farm Family for everything. sugarhouse, contents, product liability, inventory, cars/truck/ATV/snowmobile, homeowners and so on. Start by asking your current agent first.

Dill
01-29-2013, 06:31 PM
It depends on a variety of things. Yes you can get an incidental farming endorsement on your Homeowner's policy. This works well with some companies and not at all with others. Most have a limit of 2500-5000 of receipts. However you better off finding an agent who deals with Farm insurance. Hint the word State won't come before the "farm" part. Some farm companies will include product liability in the basic package some will charge extra for it. The company I work for includes syrup but charges extra for cream, sugar etc.
However the company I work for is only in VT and NH.

Also ask the agent if they charge for certs of insurance. Most don't but I have some local competitors who do.

Jmsmithy
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Also ask the agent if they charge for certs of insurance. Most don't but I have some local competitors who do.

Illegal in many states to charge for certs, particularly NJ and many NoEastern states. It's unethical in all states as that is part of the service you are paying for. Any professional agent would never do so. In fact, part of the cert process is to evaluate your coverage at the time of request and make sure it matches the requirements of the person/entity requesting the cert in the first place. Be VERY wary of any office/agent that charges anything for providing certs/id cards etc.

Yes, look to an agent that fully understands and practices in farming exposures/food manufacturing/agricultural business. There are specific issues that need to be discussed. Your agent should tailor your program to your specific situation.

Better to be sure your agent did the job at the outset, as once the claim happens, it's too late :o