PDA

View Full Version : tapping in michigan

shane hickey
01-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Is there anybody that tapped yet. Or am i the only one second day that i tapped about 2 weeks to go.

Mark
01-28-2013, 09:52 PM
I will start tapping in about 2 weeks to be ready March 1st, but we are colder up in the U.P.

DonMcJr
01-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Too early for me...I'm shooting for Feb 16 th unless the weather tells me different.

Butcher
01-29-2013, 04:02 AM
I started yesterday, drilled about 580 it was weeping at about noon and was starting to pick up pace just before dark when the trees were finally thawed out enough. Got all the good smelling stuff out of the line. Had 25 inches at the tap curious if it ran much last night. Using check valves for the first time so we will see if they are worth the money.

DonMcJr
01-29-2013, 06:11 AM
I made a sticky post for us Michiganders to report when we tap and how the sap flow is. Thought it would be neat to keep kinda a record of dates and flows on here to compare year to year and help each other out on when we should tap...

Tweegs
01-29-2013, 06:51 AM
Down around here the temps are supposed to drop below freezing again and stay that way for a couple more weeks (if you want to believe the weather folks).

Going to clean up the tanks tonight, that’ll leave me ready to start sinking bits should the time sneak in. And while I still have some things I want to do, if necessary, they can be done on the fly.

Jonnyp390
01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
down here in southeast Michigan, I have had a test tap in one of my silver maples now for almost 2weeks. Yesterday was the first time that it started to run a little bit, about a pint of sap by night. I think I am going to tap all of my trees with the warmup that they are calling for around valentines day.

DonMcJr
01-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Tweegs and Jonntp...I'm ot too far from you and I just pulled up the Month Forecast...If it's right I think I am gonna Tap this coming Sunday or the 12th of February...

Here it is >>>>> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/columbus-mi/48063/month/20803_pc?monyr=2/01/2013

Tweegs
01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Tweegs and Jonntp...I'm ot too far from you and I just pulled up the Month Forecast...If it's right I think I am gonna Tap this coming Sunday or the 12th of February...

Here it is >>>>> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/columbus-mi/48063/month/20803_pc?monyr=2/01/2013

A forecast like that makes me nervous. The temps look good, but I have to believe it’s too early yet. Accuweather’s forecasts were the ones we tracked last year, and they had an abysmal record of extended forecast accuracy.

I think we’re all a little trigger happy after last year. This year I’m going to wait until the 14th and then start watching the 5 day forecasts. When the 5 day looks right, it’s on!

shane hickey
01-29-2013, 05:17 PM
3rd day under my belt if its nice tomorrow we will
Tap first thing in the morning and boil tomorrow afternoon
Leaving the pumps on all night. A little over 3000 tapped
Roughly.

Butcher
01-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Got a gallon per tap in the last 24 hours. 1100 taps in as of today , pumps at 26 inches runnin all night see what the morning brings . Only tested 1.5 still early.

ehausinfrats
01-29-2013, 07:36 PM
i"m holding out for after valentines day. I am ready except for a test boil. Just doesn't seem to be the right weather yet i hope. I missed out all together last year due to ankle fusion surgurey. So I am hoping for a good season. My son is getting excited also.

sugarmangraham
01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
I think I am on board with Tweegs. Accuweather changes its extended forecast more than my 4 year old changes her mind. Makes it hard to plan to far ahead.

DonMcJr
01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Well I'm gonna haveta wait for the creek flooding to go down before I can even reach some of my Maples...

Tweegs
01-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Yea, I’ve got a few silvers in a low area that never really produced squat for sap. Thought maybe it was because the roots were always under water come tapping time. It’s been dry down there to this point and I was hoping to get the chance to see if that was the problem. With all of this rain and snow melt though, things are starting to fill up back there. All clay here, nothing perks, so I don’t expect that area to dry up in time.

I’ll tap them anyway, the tubing is all in place, but last year I didn’t get enough sap out of them to even pay for the taps I put in. Plan is to go to vacuum next year, I’ll hook them up and if things don’t change I’m ripping everything out of there. No sense wasting money.

Too Tall
01-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Even though you guys out-class me by quite a bit, I'll chime in. I tapped 10 trees Monday night and collected Tuesday evening. I got 9 gallons from those 10 trees. I boiled it down and got 3 cups of syrup. This was my first successful boil...pretty happy about that. Tonight I collected about 7 gallons from those 10 taps. I'm keeping that on ice until I can get 30-40 gallons then it's game on.

shane hickey
01-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Dont worry about that to tall your still a syrup producer
didnt boil tonight just taped all day almost 2500 in
Total of near 5500 so far.

DonMcJr
01-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Even though you guys out-class me by quite a bit, I'll chime in. I tapped 10 trees Monday night and collected Tuesday evening. I got 9 gallons from those 10 trees. I boiled it down and got 3 cups of syrup. This was my first successful boil...pretty happy about that. Tonight I collected about 7 gallons from those 10 taps. I'm keeping that on ice until I can get 30-40 gallons then it's game on.

I may only have 15 taps this year so it doesn't matter the number of taps it's that you are a Maple Syrup Producer! Good Job!

Now I'm curious if the flow dies after Thursday...I'm betting after Friday it will shut down for awhile with only a day here and there until atleast Feb 16th...

mzstein
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm trying to get geared up and hoping to get my taps in this weekend
or next. Most of this is due to work / family commitments , but I think
it is time. I am over by lake Erie though and I think our temps are more
moderate and the sap runs earlier over in this corner of the state . For
the last 2 years I've been swearing I'm gonna go around Jan 25 th , but
just can't get it together .

Looking to do 150-200 again this year - second year with my half pint .

Hoping for more than last after putting in all the work / time to get
everything set up .

I agree - weathermen have been way off base .

good luck everyone

Ausable
02-01-2013, 05:19 AM
Well I'm gonna haveta wait for the creek flooding to go down before I can even reach some of my Maples...

Don - I was looking at your pictures - who would think flooding on the last day of January in Michigan. Should be froze up solid - with a couple of feet of snow on the ground. Went from Alcona County down to Bay County yesterday. 5 Channels Dam on the Ausable River had a Spill Gate partially open getting rid of excess water - so - all six Ausable River Dams must have been spilling some with the Dam Electric Generators running full bore - Spring run-off is usually an April event for the Ausable Dams. Many of the smaller bridges had ice jams with water backed up way behind them and what a mess - didn's see any bridge wash outs. Well - down to 12F this am - so Winter again - for a day or too.....LOL.... Mike

DonMcJr
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
I hear ya AuSable... Something has sure been screwy with our weather the past few years...

Tweegs
02-03-2013, 06:47 AM
This is what I’m talking about.

They predicted a low of 12, yet they show the temp right now as 3. Actually, it’s 1 degree at my place.

You'd think they could at least get it right on the same day.

shane hickey
02-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Headed over to hastings today to tap hooefullyb
Get that woods done today. Heard there was alot
Of tree damage.

DonMcJr
02-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Well Weatherunderground tells me I should Tap Sunday the 17th...

Accuweather Says Friday the 8th is good>>> http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/columbus-mi/48063/february-weather/20803_pc

So My question is now what's the harm if I were to Tap Friday the 8th and it stays cold all week? Will the tap holes close up sooner or just not flow til it warms up in a week?

sugar daddy 1
02-04-2013, 10:01 AM
I thin you might be a little early,we are thinking around the 16th. I am going to tap some test holes this weekend

firetech
02-04-2013, 10:33 AM
We are going in with all the roadsides and yard trees this weekend (1250 taps) and will contiune to put in the vacumm system on the next 800 taps as we can. Better to make some syrup than none. Good luck to all

BoarsNest
02-05-2013, 06:11 AM
Looking at accuweather, I am fhinking the 16th. I need to get my water reduction unit done or it will be long days of boiling.

DonMcJr
02-05-2013, 02:56 PM
shane hickey and anyone else who has tapped already... How's it going? This cold stop the sap? Still Getting any?

shane hickey
02-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Boil one day couple gallons is all but the pan is sweetened.
drilled most of the day start again tomarrow. I think it will be a couple
Of days before we see any good runs. Another week we
Should be done drilling holes.

DonMcJr
02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Cool Thanks for the info... I'm Still planning on Tapping this Saturday!

Too Tall
02-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Don,

I tapped last week before the re-freeze. I got just under 1 gallon per tree (two days in a row). Then it all froze back up. I went out and checked everything today, not a drop since the re-freeze.

Tweegs
02-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Was set to pull the trigger this weekend too, but now it looks like everyone except accuweather has revised their forecast downward. Sunday and Monday look good, but then the temps tank again, at least in my area, for the rest of the week.

Probably going to wait another week.

DonMcJr
02-06-2013, 08:40 AM
I might wait a week too...

Weather.com says: Sun 35 Mon 39 Then 31 or lower rest of week

Weatherunderground says: Sun 37 Mon 41 Tue 34 the Below Freezing til Saturday the 16th and no forcast after that.

NOAA Says: This Tuesday Back to high of 28...Nothing after....

Accuweather says: Well they say I should Tap This Saturday...??? Hmmm...

Should I believe Accuweather?

hfitch
02-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I'm really, really appreciating these tapping threads. This is my first year and I know what temps to look for but it sure is nice to be able to see experienced maplers and what they're doing : ) Thanks a bunch guys!! I been thinking the 16th myself. And no DonMcJr, I wouldn't trust Accuweather at all!!!!! lol "Accu" is a little misleading as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, none of them are that great for long term.

shane hickey
02-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Well we got another 1100 in today we
Are going to a differnt woods tomorrow
something that is a little flatter. My legs
Are killing me rite now.

DonMcJr
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
I just read a report on tapping early vs traditional times (Michigan Traditional I believe in Feb 20) Overall yields were about the same give or take a gallon either way. Saturday is 11 days from the traditional Feb 20 so I think I am gonna tap Still on this Saturday and if we get this 8 inches of snow My Cameraman might not have school Friday so I might even Tap Friday!

Here's the article... It's from Vermont but still an interesting read...>>> http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/tapping.pdf

ehausinfrats
02-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Great reading guys. I cannot imagine tapping 18000 times. you got to be exhausted. I am going to get up Friday am and make my final decision to tap then. Looks like you,ll get a run Sunday Monday then a break till the next weekend. I was out today preping and the sun was very warm. The temps was cold but I have to beleive the old maples were soaking up that sun and getting ready to run. it is early to tap.... but since I started 7 years ago, I have been starting earlier and ealier in the year it seems. I started 7 yrs ago on March 1st like were supposed to. It just seems to be to hard to man everything when it get to warm. I really worry about the sap getting warm and going rancid and mold . So in my mind I would rather pitch out the ice and boil what I get.

Fixed all the little thing I have been putting off at the sugarhouse... supply tank supports connect a hose to the supply tank so it doesn't fly out when filling it making a mess inside, regasketed the arch, get the truck loaded with everything to tap and set buckets...

Good luck everyone.

Eric

DonMcJr
02-06-2013, 08:13 PM
It just seems to be to hard to man everything when it get to warm. I really worry about the sap getting warm and going rancid and mold . So in my mind I would rather pitch out the ice and boil what I get.

Right there with you Eric... even though this is only my 2nd year I liked getting the ice out more than wondering if the sap was still good in the warm weather....

BoarsNest
02-07-2013, 06:03 AM
I am thinking the 23rd is looking better for White Cloud, but we might tap in GR on the 16th. Too early for me to decide. Fortunately we can tap in a1/2 day. I think this weekend will be a road trip to pick up glass, jugs, DE and maybe a refractometer.

DonMcJr
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
I just cleaned my 3 Storage Tanks and Flushed the New Copper lines on my Manifold to the storage tanks with hot water. We're supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow starting late this evening and I'm hoping my cameraman doesn't have school tomorrow so we can tap and run hose! I'm in SE Michigan near Port Huron and I figure tapping 11 days earlier than last year isn't gonna hurt me much and I may get some good sap from Sunday-Tuesday's warmup!

TerryEspo
02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Love your desciption Don about your Camera Man. I too have a Camera Man, its just he doesn't want to carry the camera too much, lol.

I hope the sap runs for you (everyone) if so, grab the video and show us what running sap looks like,,,please. Maybe a video of how it runs into your collection barrels or thru the manifold.....whatever you want to share.

Take care all.

Terry

Ausable
02-07-2013, 05:54 PM
LOL - I was thinking the same thing ---18,000 Taps. That is something my little brain cannot compute. That is like the Federal Government Spending a Trillion plus dollars and I still think a thousand dollars is a lot of money. LOL - It would sure take an Army of old Geezers like me to put 18,000 taps in. I am impressed. --Mike--

shane hickey
02-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Took today off my cousin and i are dtarting bavk in
At 8:00 am. Drillin more holes. I will have
Alot of help this weekend so 3 drills and 3
Hammers should get almost all it it well maybe.

ehausinfrats
02-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Just proves a point. It's a addiction doesn't matter if is 18,180 or 18000. I suppose I am envious to. Party on.

Eric

shane hickey
02-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Trust me eric its not fun anymore after awhile it
Turns into a job real quick. But the money is nice at
The end.

DonMcJr
02-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Camerman has no school... Tube Running and tapping to start around 2pm. Video later tonight!

Tweegs
02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Well, the extended temp forecasts are all starting to trend upward for next week, a low pressure system is moving in for Sun-Mon….I’m in.
Will start tapping tomorrow.

southfork
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
We will probably set 125 taps or so in the Okemos area in next couple of days.

shane hickey
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Only one drill running today got rough fully 800 or
So taps in.

Spolcik
02-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Put in 30 today sap was weeping while I was drilling should have some tomarrow I hope.

firetech
02-10-2013, 06:03 AM
I'm sidelined for a while with a heart condition (it's temporary and non life threating if I behave myself) but my kids have stepped up and we are ON. 166 bucket taps set yesterday afternoon and 3-400 gravity taps goning in today. MAny wet holes were reported so let the sap FLOW. Good luck to all

shane hickey
02-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Were drillin this morning but i dont think we will finish till Thursday.

The Sweet Spot
02-10-2013, 07:27 AM
We are located in Norther Michigan (Petoskey) and are going to tap next weekend. Hope everyone has a great year, with more sap than we need at 3%.
Good Luck Everyone The Sweet Spot

Tweegs
02-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Take care of that Herb, no sense to making a temporary situation into a permanent one.

I got the same “take it easy” speech from my doc. Switched up my BP meds recently and it isn’t working out so well. So until we get the dosage adjusted, he says to me “try not to do anything… stupid”. “But Doc”, I tell him, “You ask the impossible”. :lol:

Heed the words of the professional Herb, use and abuse all that help.

DonMcJr
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
I had taps holes dripping yesterday too!

Guys take it easy with the Heart Issues. I too have a problem but with my right arm that needs surgery right after Maple Season I get to go under the knife and be out of commision for about 4 months. Not looking forward to it at all.

Cake O' Maple
02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
I have begun, put in 10 taps this morning. Not sure how many I want to tackle this year, but will do between 60 and 80.

I started on the south side with the best-producing trees from last year! I couldn't stand the thought of what was flowing behind that bark.....and not getting any.

shane hickey
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Even though the sap wasnt running we drilled holes today
Until we got rained out. We have 3 more woods to do
And i am done so much for trying to finish this weekend
Those **** tree rats really made a mess in one of the woods.
To bad i could'nt catch them alive and put them in a
Competitors woods. I suppose that would be kind of mean. Lol

beetree
02-10-2013, 07:03 PM
We got started tapping yesterday morning. Had seven of our church youth group kids volunteer to help this year. I am pleasantly surprised at the job they did! We got 350,two tap pails out in about 6 hours. Not bad for a bunch of kids. Then today my wife and I drilled about 800 on tubing. We only had 100 or so left when the rain set in. Looks like a couple of days of chasing buckets before the next sap run. These long range weather forecasts are like my kids on the trampoline, up down ,up down!

Schiefe4
02-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Shane that is a lot of taps lol. We put in 200 today near Vassar, MI. I am exhausted. Hoping for some good flow this week.

shane hickey
02-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Ya it does take its tollnon the body when your not uesd to
Using thosr muscles east lansing is fairly close to me im about
30 minutes from there

shane hickey
02-11-2013, 07:31 PM
We got all the tubing done today starting buckets tomorrow.

firetech
02-12-2013, 04:54 AM
Going to the Hospital today. They are going to fix my heart rythm hopefully. I called work yesterday to tell them what's up. My staff of 4 master electrians offed to use the brake room table ,jumper cable and a varity of voltages thru my chest to help. They care so much about me. Let's just get this fixed!!!!!!!

BoarsNest
02-12-2013, 05:56 AM
Firetech - We will say a prayer that everything goes well for you today.

shane hickey
02-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Going to the Hospital today. They are going to fix my heart rythm hopefully. I called work yesterday to tell them what's up. My staff of 4 master electrians offed to use the brake room table ,jumper cable and a varity of voltages thru my chest to help. They care so much about me. Let's just get this fixed!!!!!!!

Good luck hope they can fix it the first time.

DonMcJr
02-12-2013, 07:16 AM

LMAO my co workers have offered to do the same thing from pulling a tooth to slicing my arm and fixing my nerves, LOL!

Good luck and here to a speedy recovery!

shane hickey
02-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Well i suppose i should get up and crawl out from under my whooping and get something to eat the guys will be here less then a half an hour i have 1400 buckets to hang see how far we get today ill report tonight.

firetech
02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
My cardio version was a success, hearth rythem is back to normal. Waiting for DR to call and say go out and PLAY. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Herb

Run Forest Run!
02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
How wonderful firetech. That must have been such a worry for you. Don't overdo it for the next few days and then you'll be ready to hit the ground running when the sap is at full run.