PDA

View Full Version : Filter Press Gear Pump upgrade

Dennis H.
01-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Ok I tried and it was way to much to search thru everything to find the info.

I have a hand operated filter press and want to put a gear pump onto it.
I am also wanting to use the gear pump to empty bulk containers when I rebottle the syrup.

What I could find so far is that I need an Oberdorfer N4000L gear pump. I do see that they make a gear pump with a bypass feature. Is this maybe a benefit?
I want to use beltdrive to a 1/3hp 1725rpm motor.
I am not sure what the final drive speed should be at the pump, what I could find on Oberdorfer website is that I may be looking at somewhere from 400-600rpms.

Gary R
01-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Dennis,

The pumps can be bought from a pump supply store in Mass. I believe. They used to advertise in the Maple News. It was a great price. Use a three way ball valve between the pump and the press. You can divert the syrup to a canner from your bulk containers. You need the smallest pulley you can get on the motor. A 6" at least on the pump.

I tried this build. It was cheaper to go buy a new 7" Wes Fab.

lpakiz
01-29-2013, 07:59 AM
DennisH,
If you have compressed air available, check into an air driven diaphragm pump. Yamada was one brand I looked at.
Also, some here have been talking about Fluid o tech as a replacement pump. It's a vane pump magnetically coupled to the motor. Their rep says it can handle DE and the heat. The magnets let go if pressure (torque) get too high. Price is very reasonable.

mapleack
01-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Price all the parts for the upgrade, then compare that to what you could sell your hand pump press for and the price of a 7" short bank. It'll be close I bet, and you'll be ready for more syrup!

Gary R
01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
The place for the Oberdorfer's is Monahan's I believe. Just remember assembly time and a plate to mount it all.

http://www.yellowpages.com/revere-ma/mip/monahan-pump-supply-inc-7242609

Dennis H.
01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll start looking up the parts and prices and see what it will cost.
I'll do it in my spare time!!

maple connection
01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
I would tend to steer in the direction of a Yamada air pump also. Thats if you have a air compressor. They work great, I have one on my 7" full bank and love it. What I like the best is you can control the speed you pump. So if the press is cold you can push the syrup threw slow until its warmed up. I installed a tee into the plumbing so I can turn the valve off to the press and open the valve on the tee and use it as a transfer pump. The life of the pump is much longer than a gear pump.
Good luck in your shopping.

wiam
01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
I would tend to steer in the direction of a Yamada air pump also. Thats if you have a air compressor. They work great, I have one on my 7" full bank and love it. What I like the best is you can control the speed you pump. So if the press is cold you can push the syrup threw slow until its warmed up. I installed a tee into the plumbing so I can turn the valve off to the press and open the valve on the tee and use it as a transfer pump. The life of the pump is much longer than a gear pump.
Good luck in your shopping.

Do you know the model # of your pump?

childsr2
02-20-2013, 09:47 AM
The Vermont Association is discouraging the use of the 4000L bronze gear pump because of the lead content. I have a 2 year old 4000L pump with low miles that I'll sell cheap after this season.
Rich

Gary R
02-20-2013, 07:57 PM
What pump are they recommending then in place of it?

markct
02-20-2013, 08:13 PM
A cast iron oberdorfer style pump is both cheaper and lasts longer, as well as doesnt have the lead issue, Jeff Mason had first pointed this out to me after he replaced his with a cast iron model, when mine wears out i plan to do the same, a little iron in the syrup would cause no harm and be extremely minimal anyhow.

Dennis H.
02-20-2013, 11:18 PM
CDL makes a nice SS gear pump. It is $$$$ though!

Gary R
02-21-2013, 05:43 AM
We always talk about Oberdorfer's. Is there anything wrong with using a Procon gear pump? They come in stainless also.

childsr2
02-21-2013, 11:52 AM
The list price for the stainless (S4000L) oberdorfer replacement for the bronze 4000L is $2100. Perhap procon is the way to go. I wonder which flow rate will work th best?