PDA

View Full Version : What hammer to use on plastic taps.

bcarpenter
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Simple question - what are people using to pound plastic taps like the 5/16" seasonal straight taps? Do you use a standard metal faced hammer or something else? Just wondering...

psparr
01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I use the one in my hand, but that's just me. lol couldn't resist

I just use an old claw hammer.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-28-2013, 08:41 PM
My only "watch out" is that if you use the original CV's then don't use a regular nail hammer as the rounded tip can break the fingers that hold the ball. We didn't think this mattered (but it does) and now we use the white nylon ones that they sell.

Dennis H.
01-28-2013, 09:27 PM
I use a cheap plastic dead blow hammer that I picked up at harbor freight.

jcb
01-29-2013, 04:52 AM
I use the smalles stright claw hammer HD sells, $4.95 i think. then i grid the claw out to a v-notch and it works great for pulling taps. theses light hammer are great if you have other people helping tap as it reduces the amount of over diriving taps. it makes a great light wieght multi fuction tool

spencer11
01-29-2013, 06:02 AM
you want a hammer that has some head weight to it, and that has a rounded head to it, and either cut the handle down or hold it closer to the head so you dont over drive the tap

Thad Blaisdell
01-29-2013, 06:53 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202183882&R=202183882&superSkuId=202847685

Not to hard, not to soft, just right

TunbridgeDave
01-29-2013, 07:38 AM
You really need the claw hammer to break off any bark in the way of the tap hole, but a softer head hammer is best, so until someone comes up with one, I stick with the claw hammer. I drive that spout pretty hard, almost to the point of breaking it, and they still work thier way out from freezing/thawing cycles, and I have to go back and re-seat them during the season.

lpakiz
01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm with TurnbridgeDave on this one. I also use the claw end to rip some of the shaggier bark away. I also use it to pull taps, but I think I will grind out the claws a little to help get a better hold of them. Good idea!

bowtie
01-29-2013, 07:54 AM
i will be using a rubber mallet. i have used this on the metal taps i have used the past three years. this will the first year using seasonal plastic spouts. the mallet has hard rubber on one side and a softer compound on the other, it seems to work well and is a little easier on the spout.

unc23win
01-29-2013, 08:11 AM
I think it is all in how you swing the hammer. However I can see with the first check valves in particular why you might want to be more careful as some people are saying they have broken the fingers in them. I guess that would be one more advantage of the new check valves. I learned a few years ago I would rather spend more time tapping by myself than have others help as I seemed to have a few more issues in an area another person tapped for me. As long as I can get mine all done in a reasonable amount of time I will tap them myself. I might try a hammer like Thad gave the link for as I was considering it before.

Ausable
01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Last year was the first time I really used plastic taps. Same problem as You - what to use. I always used Grimm's and used a spile set and claw hammer. Like most of the other Guys with plastic spiles - I used a small rubber mallet. You will notice - after you put a few in - that when they are set - even the sound is different when you tap them. ------Mike-------

slammer3364
01-29-2013, 11:33 AM
I also use a plastic hammer that loos like a rubber mallet

ennismaple
01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
I also use a plastic hammer that loos like a rubber mallet

Same. We bought one of the white nylon hammers from our maple supplier this year to see if we like it better.

maple flats
01-29-2013, 05:36 PM
I use the flat side of the jaw on a pair of 7" lineman's pliers. I also can twist wire, cut side tie wire etc with the jaw. I find most helpers over drive taps if you give them a hammer.

G.Rainville
01-29-2013, 06:12 PM
I use use an old claw hammer with a broken handle. The handle that is left is barely the lenght of my hand. Less chance of over hitting and it fits in my Carhart jacket pocket so I never loose it.

bcarpenter
01-29-2013, 06:30 PM
I think this is the option I am going to go with this year. I was having a hard time using a metal faced hammer to tap in plastic taps so I think this hammer from the depot will do the trick. Thanks for all the feedback.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202183882&R=202183882&superSkuId=202847685

Not to hard, not to soft, just right

red maples
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
you can use a 12lb sledge hammer if you want...as long as you do the tap tap tap thud sound. it really doesn't matter what you use. I have used a claw hammer, then found a hard rubber maller for like $3 at ace hardware I think. and I use that it works great. I use a claw hammer to remove them. its basically the preference of the tapper and what your comfortable using. the one through the maple suppliers honestly I can't see spending $25-30 on them but if that works for you then by all means do it!!!

delivron
01-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Suggest you listen to Glen Goodrich explain the proper method of tapping a tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beIOKblvKHA