PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on a Homemade 2x6 build (arch)

vttsa
01-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Hi There,
My buddy and I are planing to build an evaporator for the upcoming season so we can sugar at our school(started a whole project up there with 200 trees or so)
The big thing is we have a very small budget. What we've got to work with so far is a bunch of square and angle stock. and metal to do the sides with, old red bricks to line it with, and two 2x3 flat English tin pans. We can weld and all that, and I've got a general plan however I was hoping I could get some specifics. How big should the fire box be (18''?) how long should the ramp be? how low should the ramp start? what should the ramp angle be? how tall should the arch be? what should the clearance be between the rear flat pan and the brick? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Dimensions or even a blue print would be really helpful!

Thanks

maple maine
01-29-2013, 03:02 PM
i plan on coping the plans from the arch Brian Kloepfer made thread "2x6 homemade arch" 03-14-2010, 09:40 AM i dont know how 3ft pans would fit on it but i thought it was a good thread and might give u some leads

Pibster
01-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Search for the Davey Jones evaporator thread. He has some plans.

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Hi There,
My buddy and I are planing to build an evaporator for the upcoming season so we can sugar at our school(started a whole project up there with 200 trees or so)
The big thing is we have a very small budget. What we've got to work with so far is a bunch of square and angle stock. and metal to do the sides with, old red bricks to line it with, and two 2x3 flat English tin pans. We can weld and all that, and I've got a general plan however I was hoping I could get some specifics. How big should the fire box be (18''?) how long should the ramp be? how low should the ramp start? what should the ramp angle be? how tall should the arch be? what should the clearance be between the rear flat pan and the brick? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Dimensions or even a blue print would be really helpful!

Thanks

what town do you live in?

vttsa
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
maple maine: Thanks those are really helpful! good luck on your build

pibster: having trouble finding the thread your talking about, do you have a link?

flat lander sugaring: I live in Hartland Vt

Flat Lander Sugaring
01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
maple maine: Thanks those are really helpful! good luck on your build

pibster: having trouble finding the thread your talking about, do you have a link?

flat lander sugaring: I live in Hartland Vt
heres a few of mine
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/New%20Arch%20Build/

vttsa
01-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Wow! thats fancy, looks awesome. I don't think we'll be able to do something that complex with our skill level and budget. but thats really nice.

Pibster
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?3922-Building-my-own-evaporator

smokeyamber
02-04-2013, 10:15 AM
On the real cheap end of the spectrum there is : http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?17198-Dryer-arch-build...-variation-on-the-barrel-arch-!/page2&highlight=dryer+arch

Steel pans as well so it is as cheap as it gets... ended up being around a 30"x60" pan setup.

Bedframes, old dryer, 2 sheets of 18gauge steel, several bottles of argon, two spools of wire for the cheap 110 mig, ... results... priceless ;)

Made 4 gallons on our very short season last year...