PDA

View Full Version : Got 24 pints today

HAHA I 1
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
We brought it in last night and filtered everything, then my wife finished it all today just after lunch. Its a very pretty light color and the taste is fantastic. She is out collecting sap with the kids right now, but they made a pit-stop halfway through to unload. We have about 120 gallons waiting for the evaporator and probably about another 120 being collected yet this afternoon. Tomorrow is going to be crazy, too, so I expect to be busy boiling all week long. We will tap our last 70 taps this weekend - 180 on buckets. So far its a pretty good year, but the weather can change at any time around here.

ahowes
01-30-2013, 07:04 AM
I boiled off about 190 gallons last night. Got an unusually high boil rate on the 2x4 pan (was it the warm wind or that the sap was much warmer going in since I scooped it out of pans sitting on the side of the evaporator instead of flowing from the bulk tank that I didn't put up due to the wind?). Finished 10 minutes before the storm hit at 11:40pm. I'll have to finish it off this evening.
Now I have to pull all my tubes and let them run to the ground for almost two weeks until I can finish some business for my real job. That is going to kill me...

the old guy
01-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Hey arnie got your text while ago, my cell is low charge and my charger is misplaced; 40 to 1 is really good. Be careful with your tubes, let the sap fill the containers and when you get back pour the sap on your garden and maybe you'll have the sweetest vegetables around, who knows, could be a hot new product.

ahowes
02-04-2013, 07:23 AM
You might not have gotten my later text - I spoke too soon. I knew that was too good to be true; after it all settled out, it was more like 45:1. It had a lot of sand in it.
It sure kills me to run the tubes to the ground for 10 days!