PDA

View Full Version : Retapping, not reaming taps in the future "stained wood"

Starting Small
01-27-2013, 08:04 PM
I was thinking that if the wood 2 inches immediately above or below a present taphole will become untappable for future seasons (stained wood), then what would be the drawback of retapping 2 inches above or below to extend the season before that wood "died"? I realize it would be another injury to the tree but is another 5/16 hole really that bad on tree health? Just thinking this could be a way to use a surface of the tree that will be unusable in the future. Plus you could tap in January to get any January thaw runs and then retap in March for late runs when originals dried up.

psparr
01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
I like your thinking. Dr. Tim help!!!

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-28-2013, 04:01 AM
I was thinking that if the wood 2 inches immediately above or below a present taphole will become untappable for future seasons (stained wood), then what would be the drawback of retapping 2 inches above or below to extend the season before that wood "died"? I realize it would be another injury to the tree but is another 5/16 hole really that bad on tree health? Just thinking this could be a way to use a surface of the tree that will be unusable in the future. Plus you could tap in January to get any January thaw runs and then retap in March for late runs when originals dried up.

Might be ok on gravity or low vacuum but on high vacuum there will probably be a leak.

DrTimPerkins
01-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Might be ok on gravity or low vacuum but on high vacuum there will probably be a leak.

Absolutely would be a good-sized leak on vacuum. Both on gravity and on vacuum it would extend the wounding area somewhat (by at least whatever distance you tapped above the old hole). You probably wouldn't get quite as good production from the taphole (recharge could be messed up somewhat), but it would definitely run better than an older taphole, at least for a time. While this strategy might be useful for producers with a small number of taps, it wouldn't be economically worth it for larger producers (who would tend to be on vacuum anyhow) to pay help to accomplish it.