PDA

View Full Version : Busch pump start-up

sapman
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
I went to try my Busch today, but after slowly turning for a few seconds, the vfd shut it off, giving an OL code, assumably overload. I'm assuming it's turning hard because of the oil I put in it before shutdown last year, and given the cold temps, it's probably pretty gummy. I can turn the shaft by hand, but it's rather tight.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I know, not many of these pumps in use really.

Thanks,
Tim

NH Maplemaker
01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
when it's cold I have got to put a small heater in the air inlet for few minutes before it stops tripping the breaker! Once it starts all is fine!!

maplecrest
01-27-2013, 07:29 PM
dump a tablespoon of atf fluid down the intake pipe and turn on will dry out any moisture in claws. should put a tablespoon in it every week or when sound changes. mine starts to chatter when it gets moisture in it.

sapman
01-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Sounds good, guys. Thanks! I was thinking of some atf or hydraulic oil, something thinner than the oil I had used.

Tim

sapman
01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Well i left the heat on in the pumphouse that night, and tried it again next day. Overloaded a few times, but then seemed fine for 10 minutes or so. Gave it a little more 5w30 as I shut down. Tried it again this evening, and it's drawing 12~ amps, should be 8~, and overloading again after a few seconds. Talked to my electrician, and he said when he has pumps like this in a dairy, he puts some WD40 or soapy water in to clean it up. Guess I'll try that or the atf tomorrow.

G.Rainville
01-31-2013, 08:03 PM
I've been talking to two different dealers about purchasing a Busch pump. In those conversations they both told me that when you shut the pump off for more than a day or two you should spray WD-40 in an inlet and let run for a few minutes then shut down. I think this is to keep lobes from gumming up, because of any moisture that might gat into it.

NH Maplemaker
02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
G.Rainville,What dealer are you talking to? I called lapierre in Swanton and asked the sales rep about using wd 40 and he said he never heard of it being used! He said they only reecomend Busch hydralic oil. The wd sounded good to me!

G.Rainville
02-01-2013, 05:49 PM
I talked to Bruce from Leader this morning and asked him again. He told me that he reccommends a couple shots of wd-40 into the pump before shut down then let run for a few minutes and turn off. I don't know how much oil your dealer recommends you use but I wouldn't think it would hurt to try wd-40. We have a pretty big lobe pump that we use to run our milking parlor and we spray a whole can into it 2-3 times a year, it does a great job of cleaning it. PS- don't stand near exaust pipe or you'll need a shower.

sapman
02-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Used the wd40 yesterday, and it worked well. Took a few shots and a couple minutes, but then all was good. As maintenance, I may use a little atf in the future, I think.

I'm sure the Busch oil recommendation was meant for the gearbox. I have their special oil for that.

Thanks guys,
Tim