PDA

View Full Version : Final word on NSF2?

oldboyscout
01-27-2013, 05:41 PM
I can't find anything marked NSF2. barrel with foodstuff in it, water containers, etc. are not marked. I need a big collection tank but can't find one. Is there anywhere to order something actually MARKED NSF2?

markct
01-27-2013, 08:21 PM
i am not familiar with nsf2, the nsf classification for potable water compatible items is nsf61, and i believe nsf51 is for beverage if memory serves me correctly. many items will also say fda approved which is acceptable as well, or is there some other reason you are looking for nsf2?

markct
01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
i looked a little more and found this,

NSF/ANSI Standard 2: Food Service Equipment
Equipment commonly known as 'fabricated food equipment': kitchen, bakery, pantry and cafeteria units, and other food handling and processing equipment including tables and components, counters, shelves, sinks, hoods, etc.

kinda explains why it wont be on a tank or jug bucket etc, its a spec for a different type of equipment. i think what you are looking for is nsf51, nsf61,fda approved, or safe for potable water

oldboyscout
01-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Nothing I can find, except for a rubbermaid trash can, says NSF anything. How can I find a large tank that's safe?

markct
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
most of the white poly tanks say approved for potable water, as well as there are many cage tanks available used that previously held food products and are food safe. also another option to look for is a used stainless dairy tank, they are by far the best option and are easy to clean, almost all my tanks are dairy tanks, much easier to keep clean

oldboyscout
01-27-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm getting a white 55g barrel ready that supposedly held foodstuff, but how to be sure except if it's marked NSF?

for that matter some of the 35 and 50g leg tanks I'd like to buy SAY they're made with food safe poly, but I doubt they're marked so. What do you do if you're inspected?

markct
01-27-2013, 09:47 PM
I think its generaly accepted that the tanks are potable water approved, i doubt they would give you trouble, likely a printout from the manufacturers website or such stating that they are safe for potable water would suffice a curious inspector