PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Bricking

Tucker08
01-27-2013, 08:18 AM
I have installed my arch board and am bricking, but the leader directions for the unit leave a lot to be desired and I want to do it right. I searched old forums and did not find answers to specific questions, so I started a new one. Sorry if that was wrong.

1) The arch has a baffle behind the fire box that runs right up to the top rails of the arch. I have put board on that and will brick it. Behind that I will place vermiculite and will make a ramp back down so the smoke and gas can head up the stack, correct?

2) I have seen where that second ramp is 10 inches from the stack support of the arch, is that correct? Is that 10 inches from the top of the ramp or the bottom. It is angled, so it makes a difference. It seems like that leaves only a real short distance for the fire to be up in the flues.

3) That shelf. Is it level for the entirety of the distance, or does it taper down to the back baffle?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce L
01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Found this on a previous thread for you,hope it helps.For your questions I once had a 2x6,my suggestions-make sure the baffle is pushing up int the flues 20" from the front,or your fire will be bottlenecked (found out the hard way as I tried to force the fire up into the flues quicker) Have your vermiculite or sand level or even above the level of the rails,as long as the bottom of the flues aren't touching.For your taper you could try a shorter run,perhaps 8",tapering down to about 4" under your collar.You have a blower, so you may have to experiment with these measurements,you can always lift the stack off when the arch is cold to adjust your fill at the collar if you find it is not boiling right.Hope the link works for you,and best of luck with the new rig.

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/jtbennett_photos/2010%20Bricking%202x6/

Tucker08
01-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks, Bruce. I had seen those images and while they helped a little, I was still making for too many questions. Anyway. I called leader and they have brand new directions (not even public yet) for thier WSE set-up and I used those for the most part. They are calling for 1 inch arch board and extensive use of 1/2 bricks with the exception of a few full bricks. The WSE is a drop flue so I called Bruce at Bascom's and he talked me through the bricking of the return slope dropping to my stack return. Keep it level (just below the base of the flues) for about 8 inches then slope it down to about 4 inches below the stack collar (as you said.) It is gonna be warm here tonight so I am going to cut bricks and will cement some in. I can't wait to set those pans up and get a test boil going! Thanks again!