PDA

View Full Version : Siphon Style Thread #2949

Etown Maple Syrup
01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
I use four steam table pans on top of a homemade oil tank evaporator as you can see from my picture. Part of the fun of making syrup is pouring fresh sap into the back pan near the stack and using a laddle to move the sap to the next pan toward the front, etc. I saw on youtube somewhere, (between all the ridiculous videoes on how the clean your colon by drinking maple syrup), two ways to get the sap forward without laddling. One method was to connect the pans together with pipe at the bottom between each pan so as the sap evaporated, the lighter sap would push forward to the front pan generally called the syrup pan. The other way was to use a siphon style, u-shaped pipe that you filled with sap and placed between the pans over the top. I can not get a mental understandoing as to how this siphoning method works. Can someone explain? What methods do you use or what method works best. I do not mind laddling, but I was just looking into other methods.
This is what I ponder when the sap is frozen in the lines and buckets.
Thanks everyone!+
Ross

maple maine
01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
look up Siphoning between pans Started by Pibster‎, 12-19-2012 04:15 PM on homemade equipment

G&D MapleSurgaring
01-26-2013, 05:15 PM
I also kind of have a set up like yours but i can of suggest that you could set those pans deeper into the fire box and the sap would be boiling like crazy that your getting heat on the sides too, Just my thoughts

Etown Maple Syrup
01-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Thanks Maple Maine. I have found it and read it. There is so much info in this site to explore. Just need the time I guess!
G&D, during the time I was deciding on the design of the evap, I decided to try the pans on top for easy removal. I have increased gph by bringing the fire inside the evap closer to the bottom of the back three pans. Seems to work for now. On the next build, I will sink the pans half way which is three inches. Thanks for your thoughts they are always welcomed! I would not be where I am today without sharing some thoughts on this site!!