PDA

View Full Version : Advice and what not...

SDdave
01-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Hello all,

I am planning on upgrading over the next few years subject to wife's approval:o. First of all I think I am going to take the approach by asking and researching the best set up for myself. So just as a warning I maybe asking some pretty stupid questions from time to time since I have never really seen nor operated an evaporator besides my batch method conumdrum.

I know the first question the wife will have is how much, followed by what is the life expectancy of an evaporator? I think I can handle the price but how long does an evaporator last (based on month long season, 50 taps MAX, and I take care of my "stuff" quite well)?

I have been toying with the idea of a 2X4 or a 2X6 and can't decide so I (being a great mediator) have decided on a 2X5 flat pan. I don't think I want or need a flue pan, just something simple.

The wife also wants me to use propane while we live in town (T-5years or so) then I can switch to wood. So I was thinking of building an arch for propane, then in a few years convert it over to a wood fired. There went simple out the door screaming he's done it again.

Well I better go catch "simple"...it's cold outside.
SDdave

Sunday Rock Maple
01-25-2013, 04:56 PM
We have a 2 by 4 stainless flat pan that runs on propane that we use as a finisher. It's at least 25 years old and going strong.

aws
01-26-2013, 06:30 AM
One vote for buy slightly larger than you think you need. I am always finding new maples.

SDdave
01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
One vote for buy slightly larger than you think you need. I am always finding new maples.

How much bigger? I think I will be kinda maxed out at 50 taps with work, kids, etc. I have looked in the NAMSPM for guide lines, perhaps I'll read it again.

Sunday Rock Maple, Thanks. that'll make the wife happy!

SDdave

VA maple guy
01-27-2013, 01:28 AM
I have a leader 2x6 built in 1979 and it's still going strong.
Go with wood if you can. Propane is great for finishing, but will
cost you an arm and a leg to boil with.
gerry

maple flats
01-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Realize that a wood fired will not smoke. You never smolder. You will not even be able to see any smoke except at start up, within 5-10 minutes there will be only a blur of heat out the stack. I live in a nice residential neighborhood and my Half Pint I used in 2003 (my 1st yr of real boiling) I had zero smoke, just steam. Wood is far cheaper even if you must buy your wood.
Even 50 taps on a 2x5 flat pan will be plenty on good flow days. I very rarely hear of anyone who starts out to do 50 max and sticks with 50, warning, this is addictive! If you boil with propane a bulk tank will be absolutely essential or you will triple or even quadruple your fuel cost if using 20# tanks.
The best way to get "wife approval" is to involve her in the "family maple business". The kids will love making syrup, ages 2-3 and up. One of my grand daughters spent hours in the sugarhouse just watching at 18 months. Her 3 yr old brother carried firewood from the wood rack to set it by the front of the arch for me to "put more in grandpa".
I started this, but within 2 weeks my wife was on board. We are now going into our 11th season. It is rare that maple doesn't get the whole family into it.

lakeview maple
01-27-2013, 08:11 AM
I would definately go with at least a 2x6 with the flue pan,you could be boiling along time if you get some good runs even on 50 taps,LOL youll never stop at 50 either.My setup is 25 years old but 3 years to me and still works great,and wood is definately a good way to go with your setup,you could scrounge wood all summer,there are alot of guys who burn pallets and only pallets ,just a thought.AL

Ed R
01-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Ditto what Lakeview maple said. Check with the "Non corporate" equipment manufactures like smokey lake, sunrise, A&A, and Bill Mason. Their equipment is just as good as the big guys and their prices are better if your buying new. Keep an eye out for used deals as well.

SDdave
01-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Thank you for all the replies it is greatly appreciated!!

I really don't know if I'll ever get the wife's involement in sugarin'. Not her cup of tea, she maybe the only person I know that dosen't care for maple syrup:o! But the kids love it, and the process of it, they actually fight over little jobs that I have for them.

I have looked at "non corporate" equipment and believe that is the route I am going to go when I pull the trigger.

But as for using wood, do you (anyone) put a spark arrestor on the stack? I had a more detailed discussion with my wife about wood vs. propane and she is worried sick that I will burn someone's house down due to sparks. She likes propane because the elements cool down in less than half hour (I think she sleeps better knowing this). I have access to truck loads of pallets though so cost would be my transportation.

Just wondering,
SDdave

SPILEDRIVER
01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
IVE boiled with wood in some really strange places,on my moms back porch in a residential neighborhood,in a trailer park,even boiled 2 years inside a barn full of hay and livestock.never used a spark arrestor or anything like it.do your self a favor and go bigger than you think youll ever need.i started with just a steam table pan yrs ago,went to a 2x3 flat pan to a combination of the 2....to a 2x5 drop flue.....to a 2x6 raised flue........to a i think im getting a ..........it never ends........

Ohio Maple Blaster
01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
First off.. Look at your wife and tell her you got this all squared away, and that she doesn't need to worry. I don't have a wife, but I'm sure that'll go over just swimmingly. I've boiled really close to my parents house and had no problems on my barrel burner with a 6' pipe. I've boiled in the dark and really don't remember seeing anything come out of the stack. Shouldn't be anything to worry about really. Good luck with your convo.