PDA

View Full Version : Norther Ont pics,,,no sap for awhile !!!

TerryEspo
01-25-2013, 08:20 AM
As I read the posts from the people here who are tapping I get so jeleous. We have 2 feet of snow on the ground, temps around 5 F or -15 Celcius. Full on winter and no tapping temps for another 6 weeks I bet.

I wanted to post a few pics for anyone who wants to see why I am not tapping, lol !!

At least I have time to get anything ready I guess .

Good luck everyone on a great season no matter where we live.

Terry

Mike R.
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm not to concerned about having this cold weather and not being able to tap for another 6 weeks. Maybe we can have a half normal season. Gives time to finish everything up.

JAMIE
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Looks like my back yard!This buys me a little time.We just installed are new evaporator and are installing the last steam stack today.No shortage of things to do.

TerryEspo
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM
With all this snow I am blocked from tapping many Maples across my creek. When its tapping time, I cant get across the rushing water, I can runs my lines and be all set up, but not abe to cross when the sap is running,,,ggrrr !!.

Here is a pic of how it looks at its best. It only runs like this for a few days, but I say it would wash away a truck if it was in the current. Mid summer you can jump across in sneakers and not get wet foot.

Anybody selling a 30 foot bridge?

Terry

Mike R.
01-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Why not use a old tractor trailer flat deck. Chop the wheels off an set over the creek. Its 52' long 8' wide.

Do any of your neighbors have a bridge you can use or get permission from the horse farm on Allen's Side Road, their field runs back right behind your place.

TerryEspo
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Hey Mike:

Love the flat deck idea. I may have to ask around for one this summer.

Thanks.

Terry

Z/MAN
01-25-2013, 06:44 PM
We use flatbed trailers on the snowmobile trails, they work great and you can drive almost anything over them.

SevenCreeksSap
01-25-2013, 07:34 PM
QUOTE=Mike R.;201276]Why not use a old tractor trailer flat deck. Chop the wheels off an set over the creek. Its 52' long 8' wide.

This is exactly what we did for our creek. Hand built the piers out of tons of sandstone from the creek, and one side filled about 100 feed bags with rock and cement. Had a crane come in and set it, and its as level as a proffessional engineer could have done. was very proud of that. now we drive our blazer over it all the time. we hauled Bradley fighting vehicles on flatbeds in the army, so figured it would handle anything we put on it. Look for a junk trailer from a trailer place and go for it. easiest way to build a bridge. if you could call it easy.
Did get caught by the corps though and had to get a permit, so you may want to check first, your laws may be a little different.
6452[