PDA

View Full Version : metal vs wood ??

bowtie
01-24-2013, 09:06 AM
when i decide to build a sugarhouse not sure if it will be a metal building or a wood design. i like the look the of the traditioanl wood post and beam but see the upside of the metal. what did most of you guys go with. metal should be easier to clean and maintain but just doesn't have the"warmth" of a wood sided shack. are there any issues with compliance to fda rules with wood vs metal that should be factored in? i am thinking of a combo maybe, and a cement slab for the arch and hardwood floor for the rest of it,i have acess to hardwood pallet wood that would make an awesome rustic floor once planed down, but worried about spills and cleaning it. i have an extra garage that i use now but may have to move if my parents move into the house it goes with, a whole other story.

Limitpusher
01-30-2013, 08:51 PM
We used wood for everything but the canning room. and we are in compliance here. And, in my opinion, a sugar shack should be wood. I got into sugaring because I like the tradition and heritage of it. That's why I use buckets, and that's why I say they should be wood.

Michael Greer
01-31-2013, 06:18 AM
I really like a concrete floor. The sugarhouse can be a messy place with condensation dripping syrup spills and wood chips and ash everywhere. The floor needs to be easily cleaned and swept, and has to resist the wet mess that mud season brings.

OldManMaple
01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
[QUOTE=Limitpusher;202256]We used wood for everything but the canning room. and we are in compliance here.

Like limtpusher, I like wood. It also happens I have trees and a sawmill and not a iron mine and a foundry. Wood has a warmth to it, Metal, well all I can think of is boiling in a storage unit

spencer11
01-31-2013, 07:37 AM
I got a portable garage for mine this year, was cheaper than the same size building make from wood. And it took me alone 3 days after school to put up. Not a couple weeks to build like a traditional sugar house. The building cost me about $1700 where to build a wood one would have been over 2k just in big materials+the time to build it

The traditional sugar house price included a wood floor not concrete