PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Vane vs. liquid ring pump question

ldick
01-24-2013, 07:14 AM
I have been reading up on rotary vane and liquid ring pumps. Seems to me a liquid ring pump is better suited for maple sap. I am interested in others' opinions. I have read that getting moisture into a rotary vane pump can be very bad for the pump whereas a liquid ring pump can handle it with no problem. Does this mean that I would not need a drier with a liquid ring pump? Appreciate any feedback as I am going to have to pull the trigger on one or the other very soon.

michiganfarmer2
01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
You want a moisture trap with ANY vacuum pump. I do not know the precise pros and cons of liquid ring VS rotory vane. My general understanding is liquid ring will pull higher vacuum, but needs a larger pump than a similar sized rotory vane to keep the CFM high at high vacuum.

wiam
01-24-2013, 11:21 AM
You want a moisture trap with ANY vacuum pump. I do not know the precise pros and cons of liquid ring VS rotory vane. My general understanding is liquid ring will pull higher vacuum, but needs a larger pump than a similar sized rotory vane to keep the CFM high at high vacuum.

If you are running WATER in your liquid ring I see no point in a moisture trap at the pump. If you are running oil you should have one there. My releaser is 1600' away so I have a trap at the releaser to keep my vacuum line dry.

G.Rainville
01-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I would go with a liquid ring pump. We had two 10HP Delaval vacuum pumps to run our milking parlor. Even with oil reclaimers and mufflers they were still very loud. I use a 5HP Sihi, oil cooled, in our sugarbush and it is bulletproof. If you have a water source I would cool it with that, just keep in a heated building. Good luck.

Mountain Winds Farm
01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
We are using a Busch rotary vane in our operation. In my research before going that way the Busch sales people said the rotary vane pumps do not like running below 20 some inches of vacuum or they start spitting oil.They are correct ,at least with the unit I picked up used off of ebay. So your woods need to be pretty tight but when they are it pulled 25-26 "s all day long. Newer units may not have that problem but it's worth checking on

Amber Gold
01-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Ditto what Wiam said. I have two LR pumps, and you do need a trap at the releaser because the releaser will fail.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-24-2013, 07:57 PM
I hade to make this very same decision last year and ended up going with the rotary vane (Airablo 5hp 60 cfm with flood) mainly due to it being a lot more forgiving on vacuum leaks -- I work during the day and have concerns about quickly finding and fixing them on 40 acres of woods. I don't think either is a bad or wrong choice but this seemed the best for me and we are very happy with it. Lapierre has a video on thier website where you can see the effect of one 5/16" tap being removed and the impact it has on the liquid ring.

Big John
01-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Rotary vane is old school, liquid ring is way better, keep it cool and it will suck for a long time. Yes with a liquid ring especially if you use a water pump, sap is not an issue. I recommend a eletric releaser so you don't have to worry about that anyway. I understand that the bush pump do not take any moisture what so ever. and that you should keep a spare pump around because it will fail!!