PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Roxul ( mineral woool insulation ) to insulate arch ?

smokeyamber
01-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Hey, I have some of this left over from insulating my new chimney anyone used this ? It states fire resistant to 2100f. The batts are thick ( 6 inchees) so I thought of using it on outside and maybe compress to use in firebox behind bricks. I have a generous firebox so I should have space.

Thoughts ?

G-Unit
01-21-2013, 12:04 PM
I have had some experience with using Roxul as an insulation inside and outside the arch. I used it on the outside of the arch and it worked very well. It kept the outside of the firebox much cooler. I also used it on the inside of the arch to fill cracks and fill oddball crevices. I have used it one season and it really does not seem to burn. I am sure it would work fine behind firebricks. Hope this helps.

smokeyamber
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks G-unit, ;) I will give it a try this season and see how it goes. I have plenty for the entire arch and plenty of room since I have a deep section under the flue pan since it is only a flat pan now. Hoped to get it convered to tube pan, but doesn't look likely this season.

cpmaple
01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
we use that stuff on the boilers shells at work and it never gets hot on outside. it should be fine been thinking about getting some for my arch we get it in 2x4 sheets at work and 2inches thick. hope this helps. cpmaple

maple flats
01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Try not compressing it too much. In general insulation works because of air pockets. I think you'd be better splitting it to about 1.5-2 times the final "compressed" thickness at the most.

smokeyamber
01-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Ok, I can split it easily enough, it is like fiberglass insulation batts. I will go thin instead of compressing. Some places I can use the full thickness. Should be a big improvement over last season where I was dying when boiling during the 80deg days :o

Thanks again for input

Jonnyp390
01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
I am new to the site and have been on here a couple of hours every night trying to learn everything I can. What a wonderful resource for all of the rookies out there like me. I recently picked up a package of roxul comfort bat insulation (3 1/2" thick, r15) for $35 bucks at lowes. It was special order, but they shipped it to the store down the street for free. I am planning on using it in the barrel arch I am currently working on. I will post some pics when I get it installed. It is definitely not very durable, so I am going to have to cover it with some bricks or hardi backer.

mapledan12
01-22-2013, 07:52 PM
i have a home made arch built myself used a combo of roxul and fire brick only used 1 season had very good results